Farrell's Liverpool Lancashire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farrell's Liverpool Lancashire

I was wondering if nyone can help me please. My great great grandfather was probably transported to Australia in 1834.His name was John Farrell / Farroll.
    The only way we can prove anything is that we need to find his parents who were Hannah and Alexander Farrell.
    We believe that they were born in Irelane with John born in Drogheda.
    I have found 2 deaths so far
    1 Alexander died Liverpool 1959
    2 Hannah died Liverpool 1851
    What does a death certificate from that time tell you? Would it have the name of the children and spouses on the certificate?
    Would anyone be able to helpm
    Thanks Kialla

Hi Kialla.

Welcome to FTF.

An English death certificate from that era (1850's) would tell you. When and where died. Name and surname. Sex. Age. Occupation (in this column it might say wife(widow) or husband (widower) of and in the case of a widow give her husbands occupation. Cause of death. Signature, description, & residence of informant. When registered. Signature of registrar.

It wont tell about their parents or their children. (Unless the informant is one of their children)
    Pam

Comment

Information on and examples of certificates can be found in FTF's Wiki, see: All About Certificates - Family Tree Forum
      Sarah

Comment

maybe a mod should move this to the q & a's section. it would get more coverage there.

Comment

Kialla, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

I've moved your post into our Research Qs & As forum where hopefully someone may be able to help you.
          Elaine

Comment

There are quite a few John Farrell baptisms in Drogheda on Louth County Library - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Louth which is a pay-per-view site.

There are also some John Farrell burials in Drogheda Registration District in the Ireland Civil Registration Indexes on FamilySearch Record Search
            I don't see any Alexander or Hannah Farrells in Drogheda Registration District, but they may have died before civil registration started?
            Sarah

Comment

Farrell Liverpool Lancashire

Thanks to everyone who replied to me and especially lots of thanks for transfering my post to the correct area. I am very new to this forum idea.
              I know that the john Farrell who came to Australia is buried in a little town called Wycliffe in Vitoria, he died in 1855 aged 44
              We have employed a researcher in Drogheda and come up with nothing so we are thinking that perhaps they had moved to Liverpool area.
              Does anyone have access to Liverpool death certificates ?
              There is a Hannah Farrell died in Liverpool in 1851 and an Alexander in 1851.
              If anyone is looking for Australian info perhaps I can help.
              Jan

Comment

Hi Jan,

To obtain a death certificate you would need to order it from the GRO (General Register Office) or the local register office.

You can search the indexes at Ancestry.co.uk and FreeBMD. FreeBMD shows the following Hannah Farrell and Alexander Farrell deaths registered in Liverpool.

Deaths Sep 1851
                FARRELL Hannah Liverpool 20 252

Deaths Sep 1856
                FARRELL Hannah Liverpool 8b 164

Deaths Dec 1859
                Farrell Alexander Liverpool 8b 96

In the references above, the month is the quarter in which the event was registered, so "Sep" means the death was registered in July, August or September, and "Dec" means the death was registered in October, November or December. The registration district in this case is Liverpool. The numbers after the registration district are the volume and page number.

You can use the references above to order certificates online from the GRO.
                Did you check out the All About Certificates link in my previous post? If not, please read through the information there. There you will also find a link explaning how to order certificates from the GRO or the local register office (do not use the GRO reference if ordering from the local register office): England and Wales Certificates - Ordering a BMD Certificate
                Sarah

Comment

you can order english and welsh certificates online:

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

it is the official website for england and wales. you will need to register with them first. as long as you have the gro (general register office-the above link) reference, it will only cost 7 pounds. about $15 auzzie dollars per cert.

Deaths Sep 1851
                  FARRELL Hannah Liverpool 20 252

ok, so when you order this, this is the info you will need. it comes from the gro index, and is the reference i mentioned above. if you dont know of it yet, the info comes from here: FreeBMD - Search

ok, when you order, you will have to enter the name. and the date, sep isnt necessarily the month she died in, its the quarter of the year the death was registered. she could have died jul/aug or september. liverpool is the district, and the volume is 20. the page number is 252. remember to tick on the very first page you have the gro reference! if you dont they will charge you more, so when you get to the page where you pay, make sure it is only 7 pounds per cert, if not, start again, and tick the box. if you are ordering from the local register office, this information will be useless. remember to use the spelling in the index, even if it is wrong.

im sorry if you already know this. if your unclear, just ask, and someone here will clarify.

Comment

snap cloggie!! beat me to it. :o

Comment

On the 1841 census there is a Hannah Farrell, age 13, born in Ireland, living at Rodney Street, Liverpool, with an Ellen Farrell (age 30, born in Ireland) and a Susannah Parkinson (age 15, born in Lancashire). (Remember that ages for people over 15 were rounded down on the 1841 census)
                      HO107; Piece 560; Folio: 18; Page: 29

On the 1851 census there is a Hannah Farrell, widow, age 63, born in Ireland, living at 6 St Ann's Grove with her daughter Hannah, age 20, born Liverpool.
                      HO107; Piece: 2176; Folio: 107; Page: 22

The only Alexander Farrell I can see in Liverpool in 1851 is age 17 (born in Liverpool), living with his parents Patrick (age 60, born in Belfast) and Christina (age 46, born in Aberdeen) and siblings Isabella and Richard, at 52 Tenement (?) Street.
                      HO107; Piece: 2179; Folio: 716; Page: 11
                      Last edited by Cloggie; 24-07-09, 05:53.
                      Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        snap cloggie!! beat me to it. :o
                        But we both provided some different info that the other didn't.
                        I forgot to mention about prices, etc.
                        Sarah

Comment

true, true. i think yours was explained better. hopefully kialla will understand both posts and all questions will be answered!!

Comment

Farrell Liverpool Lancashire

A special thank you to Cloggie and Kylejustin for all the great information. I did read all the information on certificates and thanks for that Cloggie.
                            The problem I have is that even with the certificates I still won't be able to prove that they are John's parents or not but I guess it is a start.
                            My grand mother was a Farrell but I never heard her mention her grand father John so we have very little to go on.If he was a convict this would explain the silence as it was quite shameful to have a convict in the family.We know for sure that her other grand father George Garton was a convict and she never relayed that to us
                            It is exciting to wake up and find your messages. I have to go to Melbourne for 3 days each week and that is why I will be a bit slow getting back to you.
                            I see that you are Australian too Kylejustin.Who are you researching?
                            Thanks again
                            Jan

Comment

hi jan.

convicts. tricky work from what i've heard. my cousin is descended from an irish convict in the late 1700's. he got sent here for stealing a handkerchief!! i havn't had the pleasure of one in the family, but there were certainly a few shifty individuals!!

my research is generally english, as mum was born in leeds, and my father's family has a few english veins as well. grandma's dad was half german, half english. her mum was half german as well, and she was of scottish and irish descent. depending what you believe, my grandfather was part english, scottish and or french.

i hate irish research. my family are supposed to have left county clare around 1853, but i havn't found them on a ships list either. which is annoying, because there was supposedly 10 children, but i only know for certain that 4 lived in victoria. and trying to get info from clare is difficult. some counties have online stuff, or you can get info from their archives. clare insists you pay them like $200, for a search and report. if they have any info beyond one generation, the price doubles. the period im interested in won't really be of much help, because the records start around the time i need them!! i might get a few baptisms, if im lucky. so unless they get their records online, or the price drops, i will be stuck.

haha, to be honest, im only getting anywhere with the english parts!!

Comment

Working...
                              X