Ancestry lookup help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry lookup help

I'm trying to trace my OH's great grandfather who came over from Sweden somwe time in the 1800's. We have very little info on him, not even sure of dob, or place of birth. We think he was born in a Swedish compound in St Petersburg, around 1850-1855. We don't know when he came to UK or if there are any records on his entry. At the moment I can't get access to Incoming Passenger lists on Ancestry, and wondered if anyone could have a quick look for me - there are 2 possibilities. He was a Carl Quarnstrom or Charles Quarnstrom, used both those names. He would not have had any family with him, so if he was travelling with others that's not him. Are there any other lists of immigrants to UK I could check?

Thanks
    Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Do you have him in 1901 census? RG13; Piece: 881; Folio: 29; Page: 49
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

"familysearch.org" has more than a handful of same name to consider......dont forget to put Sweden as country of birth.

Comment

UK incoming passenger lists

has

Carl Quarnstrom age 30 (abt 1864) arrived Liverpool 31 Oct 1894, from Boston, Massachusetts United States

and

Charles Quarnstrom age 62 (bd 7 Jun 1892) arrived Liverpool 26 May 1955 from Montreal Canada.

Can't see anyone likely for your man.

Comment

1901 shows Charles and wife Emily with eldest son aged 8 born in Peterborough so I am guessing he was still in Sweden/Russia until after 1891.

Comment

have you found his marriage?

Comment

Thanks for your help - Yes I have Carl in the 1901 Census. He was in London in 1891, living in Carnaby Street, working as a tailor. He and Emily married 2 days before the 1891 Census,and must have gone somewhere on honeymoon as there is no trace of them that year. That entry of Russia/Sweden is all we have for place of birth!
              Linda

Comment

I have a copy of his marriage certificate, which is the earliest mention of him in this country. He seems to have appeared out of nowhere!

Linda
                Linda

Comment

I guess the other thing is to see if there are Swedish/Russian records of him. Any clues as to family members as witnesses?

He was a tailor too, so presumably did an apprenticeship somewhere.

Comment

IGI has images of the swedish church in St petersburg from 1840 to 1885, with births deaths and marriages. I am trawling through those, but can only manage about 1 year a night - hope to be finished by the end of August. So far I have found 1 mention of the name, so there might be some hope. He had no family in this country, and I believe his english wasn't too good so he didn't talk much! No one else in the family has anything more on him. His father was a tailor (it says so on the marriage certificate, and also that he was dead in 1891) so maybe he learnt the trade before coming over.

I don't know if there would be any Russian records on apprenticeships. That would be fun to go through as I don't speak Russian!

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

I've checked the National Archives and the London Gazette, as they both have naturalisation applications, but he's not there (at least under the spelling Quarnstrom). However, I don't think naturalisation was compulsory.

I found a Roland Gustaf Quarnstrom who was in the Canadian Air Force in WW2, if you're interested.

Comment

His name was originally Qvarnstrom, which it actually is on the wedding certificate, but his wife made him anglicize it, but we don't know when. There are quite a few Quarnstroms in the US, my OH has been in touch with some, but we haven't come across any others who were from St Petersburg/Kronstadt area. (Kronstadt is a small island just outside St P. that he seems to have mentioned, but it is mainly a garrison/fort). Thank you for your help anyway.

Linda
                        Linda

Comment

Do you have a copy of the 1911 census - there may be another clue there. They seem to be registered as Quanstrom
                          J

Comment

No, I don't yet have a copy of the 1911 census, but not surprised that they are Quanstroms on that as that is what the name is now, but I wasn't sure when the change happened. Would it give any further details on Carl's birth?

Linda
                            Linda

Comment

Hello Linda
                              Have pm'd you
                              J

Comment

This must be they in 1891:

RG12; Piece: 87; Folio 52; Page 21 - 28 St James ?Residences, Strand, London

Charles Tuamslrom 37, Tailor, b St Petereburg, Russia
                                Emily Tuamslrom 29

Christine

PS - I've submitted a correction. The image can be interpreted as Quarnstrom, but it is challenging script.
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-07-09, 20:41.
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Outbound, there appear to be 2x Carl (b 1875 or 1879) in 1895 & 1903, 1x Charles (b 1892) in 1955 and 1x Chas (b 1868) in 1893. None with a relevant-looking DoB.

There's an Emma, b 1871, travelling 1891, but no Emily.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's an article here about the Little Pulteney Street / St James's Residences area:
                                    Brewer Street and Great Pulteney Street Area | British History Online

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine - just off to have a look at their 1891 census - I thought I had tried all possible variations of the surname - amazing how mangled it can get.

Linda
                                      Linda

Comment

This is the first proof we have of St Petersburg being the right area - I'll get back to the images from the Swedish Church then. Thank you very much, I'm amazed you managed to find them.

Linda
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X