One of my convicts is missing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my convicts is missing...

Can any of the Aussies help find a missing convict?

A William Tapp was convicted at the Northamptonshire Assizes on 28/7/1829 of a burglary committed in Potterspury. He was transported to NSW on the Mermaid on 2/12/1829, and arrived in NSW on 6/5/1830.

After that, I completely lose track of him - I can't find him on a muster, nor can I find a ticket of leave, pardon, etc. None of the NSW deaths in that name seem to fit. What I really need to know is his age.

If he's the person I think he is, he was born in Potterspury, Northants, c. 1794, and was married to Sarah Billing. They had 5 children betwen 1815 and 1828, which would fit with a transportation in 1829. I'm not sure who his parents were, but I think his father was another William Tapp (who died in 1827). I can't find an obvious candidate for Sarah in the censuses, but I've found his sons William and Henry on the censuses, still living in Potterspury.

A couple of trees on Ancestry say that William died in Stone, Arkansas, in 1877, which seems a bit unlikely. I can't see him on any US censuses.

Can anyone see anything I've missed?
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-07-09, 13:59.

IGI has a submitted record for William, birth 4/5/1794 indicating father also William and Catharine, mother. Additionally there are some 7 siblings showing on the family page if you havent already found them.

Comment

the only death I can see in NSW is
      william tapp father joseph mother evit district carcoar reg 3258/1870

marriage 1867 of william h tapp to annie o'brien
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

I am sure you have seen this site - not that I could see your chap!
        Northamptonshire England
        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
          IGI has a submitted record for William, birth 4/5/1794 indicating father also William and Catharine, mother. Additionally there are some 7 siblings showing on the family page if you havent already found them.
          Yes, I have that one as a possible, thanks. Unfortunately Tapp's a very common name in Potterspury and district, so it's hard to be sure if it's him.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
            the only death I can see in NSW is
            william tapp father joseph mother evit district carcoar reg 3258/1870
            Yes, I'd seen that one, thanks. I can't absolutely rule it out, although the parents that Alan found seem to be the most likely.

marriage 1867 of william h tapp to annie o'brien
            I hadn't looked for marriages as I didn't find a death, but that's worth bearing in mind, although he would have been pretty old

I am sure you have seen this site - not that I could see your chap!
            Yes, thanks - I often use the Potterspury site, which that one links to.

I have his marriage, and I don't really expect to find a death/burial in England, because convicts transported for life weren't supposed to return, and risked the death penalty if they did (in fact he was sentenced to death at his trial, but it must have been commuted to transportation for life).

Comment

William Tapp

I noticed this thread and I know it is a bit old so you might already have this information, but I found a death for William Tapp, 1831 on the Mermaid. So this is probably the William Tapp from Potterspury, I think?

Debbie

Comment

Hi Debbie,

Thanks very much for that. I hadn't checked out William for a while, and I've now found him in the Prison Hulks database on Ancestry, which wasn't online when I last searched for him.

However, I still can't find his death; I have his entry for the Mermaid in the Australian Convict Transportation Registers on Ancestry, but there's no reference to his death unless I'm missing something.

Where did you find it?

By the way, this did turn out to be the correct William Tapp.

Mary
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-09-11, 19:54.

Comment

Mary, I think Debby maybe referring to this record ..................

If you don't have the worldwide subscription let me know and I'll post details.

Comment

If you think the above is your chap, his deathe cert can be purchased here ................. http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/In...ge=1831&place=

Comment

That'll be him, Susan, thanks very much - I didn't think to search under Tupp, and I can't have searched without a surname either.

And thanks again, Debbie, for pointing it out.

Comment

Hi Mary

You probably already know that this is a burial only, transferred to BDMS. So don't buy a certfiicate for it - I can look up the full record in the microfilm for you.
                        Not sure if I can look at the Convict Death Register at the local, maybe only at State Records, but will inquire.

Di
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                          You probably already know that this is a burial only, transferred to BDMS.
                          Yes, I guessed that because of the date.

So don't buy a certfiicate for it - I can look up the full record in the microfilm for you.
                          Not sure if I can look at the Convict Death Register at the local, maybe only at State Records, but will inquire.
                          Thanks very much for the offer, but the image from the Convict Death Register is on Ancestry; it only gives the burial date, but I don't suppose there'll be any more at NSW State Records. I wasn't intending to buy the cert., because this is isn't a close ancestor of my BiL's (just an interesting one I got sidetracked by...)

Comment

Hi Mary,

I totally understand, I get so sidetracked by chasing down interesting people, or someone with an unusual name..... I tend to forget what I was looking for. I did not realised the Convict Death Registers are on ancestry (maybe because I don't have any ancestors who were convicts, to research).

There probably won't be anymore info in the burial record, but when I go to the local FH librar.y I will look. Name, address, date, place of burial is about all if I recall.

Di

Di
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia
                            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

OK, thanks very much

As convicts go, this one wasn't out of the ordinary, but my BiL's tree is mostly ag labs, so he adds a bit of colour (he broke into an elderly widow's house by going down the chimney to steal a piece of bacon...)

I hadn't realised the Convict Death Register was on Ancestry either, until Debbie and Susan pointed it out. Apparently it's been there since 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X