Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got any 'Hitchinson's

Hello all,

This is my first post here... so bonjour/guten tag/bonjourno/ni hao/howdy/hello/konichiwa (apologies for any spelling errors) to you all...

I've been researching my family tree for a while now, and whilst I'm branching out sideways in all directions with marriages, brothers, sisters and newborns... I'm finding it impossible to get beyond a John Hitchinson (born approx. 1811 died approx 1852). In order to try and progress further I'm seeing if anyone is connected to my family tree who might be able to help... it would also be interesting - coming from an utterly tiny family (only 2 living hitchinsons remain) to find a distant relative! Lol.

John was my great great great grandfather, and his son Albert Charles Hitchinson (born approx 1845, died 1911 (I think...) was my great great grandfather.

If anyone knows anything please respond. Thanks very much.

Laura

What part of the world were your family from? I can try to search on Ancestry and Genes to see if I can find anything. Do you have your tree on any public sites?

All the best

Comment

Hello and welcome to FTF,

have you had a look in our names database yet to see if you have any possible matches?

if you look on the dark blue 'navbar' that goes across your screen (near the top) you will see the word GEDCOM if you click on that and enter your surname you might come across possible 'hits' from there you can contact members via private message and compare names.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Heeey, thanks guys for the quick responses! I've checked ancestry about a year ago but have since cancelled my subscription, and I'm on findmypast.com - which is the general one for the uk I find its better... We're all from the UK, and so far all the hitchinsons are from London, England - I don't have my tree on any public sites as I've got it on private software - is there anywhere I could put it up for free? I'm now going to add it to my findmypast.com account...

I've searched the surnames database u guys have and the GEDCOM thing and hitchinsons are extinct on both! Lol. Thanks guys.

Comment

Laura

if you create a gedcom file from whichever Family tree program you use you can upload it to this site

we also have a surnames list in our 'wiki' (which is our reference library)

this might help you further..

Surname Directory - H - Family Tree Forum

if you click on the link, and look down the list, you can then click on a name and see if they are the same as yours.

to get back to the main part of FTF click where the red arrow points to

Julie

Comment

Hey thanks very much I've checked all of them now and there's no hitchinsons, I even looked for some maiden names of the wives of various people and there were no likely candidates unfortunately - although im going to add hitchinson to these in the hope of some contact in the future...

Comment

that's ok, we are all a helpful bunch..

re your 'problem' do you have any certificates at all? and have you looked at the parish records?

and have you found him on any census?

if you post the details where/when etc... then i'm sure we can find something
              Julie

Comment

Hey,

I'm afraid I don't have any certificates and I've searched every database I can find, although I'll admit I haven't looked at anything in paper other than scanned census/birth records etc as I wouldn't know where to go - although I plan to understand more when I next make it to the national archives (a visit is planned for the 31st July).

He's on the 1841 census, and then on the 1861 census his wife is supposedly a widow (although the only records I can find for his (maybe) death is in September 1861 and the census was done in April...) but there are no deaths of any John Hitchinson prior to that date...

No records exist for the family on the 1851 census... I've not found any record of his birth or their marriage other than the date provided in the 1841 census (born 1911)... It's just a sticking point that won't allow me to progress any further...

Things are fairly easy to hunt down after 1837 thanks to census and b/m/d records but is there some earlier source that I'm missing?

PS. This is a stupid question - feel free to berate my naivety (not even sure that's spelt right lol :-/) but there are page and vol numbers on all the b/m/d records - what are these referring to and what would I then be looking for??? I assume they're the original records, but where would they be found? Thanks! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by laurahitch View Post
                  Hey,

I'm afraid I don't have any certificates and I've searched every database I can find, although I'll admit I haven't looked at anything in paper other than scanned census/birth records etc as I wouldn't know where to go - although I plan to understand more when I next make it to the national archives (a visit is planned for the 31st July).

He's on the 1841 census, and then on the 1861 census his wife is supposedly a widow (although the only records I can find for his (maybe) death is in September 1861 and the census was done in April...) but there are no deaths of any John Hitchinson prior to that date...

No records exist for the family on the 1851 census... I've not found any record of his birth or their marriage other than the date provided in the 1841 census (born 1911)... It's just a sticking point that won't allow me to progress any further...

Things are fairly easy to hunt down after 1837 thanks to census and b/m/d records but is there some earlier source that I'm missing?

PS. This is a stupid question - feel free to berate my naivety (not even sure that's spelt right lol :-/) but there are page and vol numbers on all the b/m/d records - what are these referring to and what would I then be looking for??? I assume they're the original records, but where would they be found? Thanks! :-D
                  the page numbers and vol numbers on ancestry/free bmd etc.. relate to the index, ( you can use the numbers to order certs online)

I'm not sure that you can actually look at these now. (except online through ancestry/FMP)

have you tried looking on Hugh wallis site at all? or the LDS site? they usually have parish records online.

I would strongly suggest though getting the certs, work from recent then go backwards.. this sometimes throws up things that you might miss otherwise, informants..etc.. witness' from marraiges that could be related etc..

you might be on the right track with what you already have, but without the proof you might also be following a wrong track.

it could also be that the name was transcribed wrongly on the census, have you looked into variants of the name at all?

EDIT:

where was he born Laura??
                  Julie

Comment

There are 2 deaths for the name John Hitchinson on freebmd in the London area.
                    1852 Greenwich Q4
                    1861 Kensington Q4.
                    The second one is unlikley as you say his wife says she is widowed in 1861 census.
                    Tessie

Comment

Thanks Tessie - yeah the earlier one I'm still thinking about as the place of birth is wrong, and greenwich is further away - with the kensington one having the right place of birth and the right locaiton - but obv. there's the discrepancy with the census... Lol...

Trouble is with purchasing certificates is the cost... I know they're graduated as to how much information you can provide - but i've found the £90 for a years registration to fmp taxing enough! Lol ...

Comment

Laura,

I take it that the family were quite a big family? I have found a ref in the 51 census,

with 6 children, John born in St. Lukes, Middlesex, England 1807. is this them??

do you know when he and mary married?
                        Julie

Comment

It seems yes we had mutiple big families - minimum four children - however John and Mary only had four children it seems before John died - thanks very much for looking but I'm afraid that isn't him - at work currently so I'm going to leave it and see if I can dig anything up tonight at home - but thanks very much for all your help - I'm going to look into certificates etc. I've done some googling which found one little titbit but thats it - unfortunately thats much more recent that John. If I really have reached a dead end I'm going to wait until I go back to the archives in a fortnight and see if they can assist me further... :-/ Thanks guys! :-D

Comment

for info:

John Hitchinson
                            Mary Hitchinson
                            Eliza Hitchinson
                            John Hitchinson
                            Jane Hitchinson
                            Walter Hitchinson
                            Albert Hitchinson
                            Joseph Hitchinson

this is in paddington, mdx.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1466; Folio: 440; Page: 16
                            Julie

Comment

Wooooah that looks about right! How did you find that? No Hitchinson even exists when I search on the 1851 census! Hmmmmmmm I think there's been a mistake here - maybe I should have signed up to ancestry instead...

Lol

Comment

It seems yes we had mutiple big families - minimum four children - however John and Mary only had four children it seems before John died - thanks very much for looking but I'm afraid that isn't him - at work currently so I'm going to leave it and see if I can dig anything up tonight at home - but thanks very much for all your help - I'm going to look into certificates etc. I've done some googling which found one little titbit but thats it - unfortunately thats much more recent that John. If I really have reached a dead end I'm going to wait until I go back to the archives in a fortnight and see if they can assist me further... :-/ Thanks guys! :-D
                                hmmm dont mean to be flippant, but if you havent found them on the 51 census how do you know they didnt have anymore children??

if you come back after work, we can see what we can unravel
                                Julie

Comment

Wooooah that looks about right! How did you find that? No Hitchinson even exists when I search on the 1851 census! Hmmmmmmm I think there's been a mistake here - maybe I should have signed up to ancestry instead...

Lol

from what it looks like too Albert married an emily

Johns occupation was a coachman/omnibus as well.

Julie

Comment

and from looking at the image on the 51 walters age is wrong too it should read 10 and not 6
                                    Julie

Comment

can't seem to see em in 1841 though.. grrr I'll bet they are mistrans too
                                      Julie

Comment

You won't find them on findmypast at the moment because there are only a few counties for 1851, and Middlesex isn't one of them! I must admit I prefer the findmypast searches to the Ancestry ones, and I think the fmp transcriptions are better, but you have to be aware that a few counties are missing in 1901, and most in 1851. They will be added eventually.

scuda
                                        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Working...
                                        X