German help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German help please

I hope that someone can help me with a problem relating to my partner. She was born in 1938 near East Berlin and came to England before the war, and has been an English national since.
    She had all her papers including her birth certificate but all were lost by the local council (Blackburn) several years ago.
    Has anyone any suggestions as to where and how she can obtain a copy of her birth certificate.
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

I'm sure someone who knows about German certs will be along later, but in the meantime, see if you can find anything here:

Germany - Family Tree Forum

Comment

I think she'll probably have to contact the register office local to where she was born.

I would suggest that Blackburn Council should be billed for any expenses incurred in obtaining replacement documents... perhaps if you mention that to them (enquiring to where you should send your expenses claims), their finding skills might be sharpened?

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-07-09, 17:00.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I agree with Christine - I think this is utterly disgraceful that a Council has lost such important personal papers and I would be making a great big fuss if they were MY papers!

OC

Comment

Unfortunately the items were "lost" about 5 years ago and before we met. They certainly woldn't have got away with it if they were mine or if I had been around at that time.
          Ken.
          Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Comment

Originally posted by zilkens View Post
            Unfortunately the items were "lost" about 5 years ago and before we met. They certainly woldn't have got away with it if they were mine or if I had been around at that time.
            Ken.
            There's usually a 6/7-year requirement for holding records. Still worth going back to them, I'd say.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Don't know about East German records but got my grandmother's West German birth cert from the Municipal "Standesampt", which I think is the equivalent of the Register Office. I have an application form in German for this type of thing if you want a copy . PM if you do.The cert cost me about 7 euros about 6 years ago.
              CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Cyndi's List - Germany / Deutschland

Edna

Comment

Working...
                X