St Katherine's Convent,normand park.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Katherine's Convent,normand park.

I've recently found out that one of my ancestors was in St Katherine's convent in 1901. Apparently it was founded for prison rescue work and just wondered if anyone else had heard of it or has any information about it.

I have looked on the internet but there doesn't seem to be much mentioned on it apart from that it was destroyed during ww2.

I found this:

Buildings in the vicinity | Queen's Club Gardens Residents' Association

Possibly you have already seen this.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh goodness me, I spent 3 years of my student life in this area! I had many friends living in Queen's Club Gardens. There were many Aussies and South Africans there also in the early 1970s.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Try doing a Google Books search - I got several hits with "St Katharine's" and "Fulham", but unfortunately they don't always let you view the text. One tantalisingly says it was founded in 1879.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          I found this:

Buildings in the vicinity | Queen's Club Gardens Residents' Association

Possibly you have already seen this.
          Thanks, that's the info which I've got so far regarding the convent. On the 1901 census she's down as being an individual servant in training so that does sound about right.

Comment

One tantalising piece of information:
            "Receives young women convicted for the first time of petty thefts, ..."

Try Google Books and "St Katharine's" and "Normand House".
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Try Google images and this link:

Google Image Result for http://www.xmas.demon.co.uk/genealogy/photos/WBridge/Sampler_MKB.jpg

You have to scroll down a bit. It cites the Feret book found on Google Books. It's someone's family tree but gives some interesting details.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Many thanks for that. It's my great grandmother that was there when she was 18 and as shes not down as a nun she had obviously done something wrong.
                Reading the article that you posted a link to it says about a Paulina Granville and she's listed on the 1901 census report there as mother superior.

Comment

Working...
                X