Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with FTM 2009 exporting

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am trying to export my entire file from FTM 2009 to a new Ancestry Tree and everytime I do it says this.

Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

I have saved three different files and tried a few times with each it is annoying me a lot now.

The document contains no data is that the clue I have over 2000 people in my tree and many photo's is there a problem somewhere where it has not saved data.

I will appreciate help from anyone who has had this problem.

Thank you.

Jill

May seem a silly question but are you exporting it in GEDCOM format?
    I hope you realise that photos will not be exported as GEDCOM format is purely data.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine I knew I had missed something out, no I am exporting it in FTM as I want my photo's to go as well.

Jill

Comment

I think the only way you can upload a tree to Ancestry is in GEDCOM format - unless something has changed recently.
        Elaine

Comment

You can export it via Family Tree Maker too as I read the how to first but it doesn't complete.

I don't want to do it via Gedcom because it will not take the photo's too.

This is so frustrating I took out the cheaper Ancestry deal that was on recently and still have another subscription with a tree on but wanted to start afresh as I have updated the photo's.

I have also just bought FTM2009 and this is the first time I have exported with it.

Thanks Elaine

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by dahaniuk View Post
            You can export it via Family Tree Maker too as I read the how to first but it doesn't complete.
            Are you sure that exports a .ftm file, and not a gedcom? Can you provide the link to where it says that please? The only options I'm given on Ancestry are "Create a new tree" and "Upload a GEDCOM file"
            Last edited by Cloggie; 20-07-09, 08:03.
            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
              Are you sure that exports a .ftm file, and not a gedcom? Can you provide the link to where it says that please? The only options I'm given on Ancestry are "Create a new tree" and "Upload a GEDCOM file"
              Exporting a File in Family Tree Maker 2009

I have uploaded my tree from 2005 before along with all of my photo's but not from 2009.

Thank you Cloggie

Jill

Comment

That link certainly tells you how to export your tree from FTM, either in FTM or GEDCOM format, but what I cannot see anywhere is an option to upload to Ancestry in any format other than GEDCOM.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the link Jill. Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were saying you were able to export directly from FTM to Ancestry, but the link confirms that FTM 2009 exports to a file (FTM or GEDCOM) in the same way as FTM 2006.
                  Like Elaine, the only file format I can see mentioned in the Ancestry family tree upload options is GEDCOM.
                  Last edited by Cloggie; 20-07-09, 09:07.
                  Sarah

Comment

Just found this, which does suggest you can upload a .ftw file as well as several other file types: Upload an existing family tree file - Ancestry.co.uk
                    If you're trying to upload one of the file types listed and it's not working, maybe you could try contacting Ancestry of FTM support to see if they can help you solve the problem:
                    Ask a Question
                    Family Tree Maker 2009 by Ancestry.com
                    Sarah

Comment

This is the link that explains all of the different ways to upload to Ancestry.

Upload an existing family tree file - Ancestry.co.uk

The output format you can choose from is:

Family Tree Maker
                      Gedcom 5.5 (standard)
                      Gedcom for FTM 16

I chose Family Tree Maker but it doesn't work so I thought I would ask if anyone else had this problem.

Regards
                      Jill

Comment

Hi Jill,
                        Yes, I had just found the same page. I suggest you contact Ancestry or FTM2009 support - see links on my previous post.
                        Sarah

Comment

Yes I was starting to think that too.

Thank you

Jill

Comment

I wonder if it is a FTM2009 problem.
                            The link says you can import a Family Tree Maker .ftw file - but FTM2009 has a .ftm extension.
                            Elaine

Comment

I would have thought uploading an .FTW file would be quite a problem anyway due to the size, i have an .FTW and a .GED version of the same file and one former is 763MB while the latter is only 240KB.

Ancestry have to compress the files anyway to save space (they have literally millions of files submitted) so handling .FTW files would seem a bit of a stretch given the potential filesizes involved.

Incedently
                              This file compression process has caused problems with downloaded files at times for people when trying to upload the (same) file to other sites at a later date and i know of a couple of problems have arisen when trying to import the files into FTM.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes Glen I found the cause last last night my tree is 120MB and they only allow up to 75MB to be uploaded.

I have just uploaded a GEDCOM to them and will put a few relevant photo's on.

Thank you for yours and everyone else's help.

Regards
                                Jill

Comment

Thanks for the info Jill, it was a bit of a stab in the dark when i added the comment, more of an advisory note rather than a probable solution :D
                                  Your discovery will probably help answer the query for others at a later date so it's handy to know.

The filesize is determined by a number of factors, number of individuals, quantity and size of images, sources, notes etc. The more images and notes etc the lower the number if individuals you would be able to include within the 75MB limit.

As you say, it's probably better (but entails more work) to go down the GED route and add images as needed.
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                                  X