NSW State Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSW State Records

I am planning a trip to NSW State Records on Friday this week.

I knwo most of you are in the UK, but does anbody want something looked at, while I am there ? Its a long trip and I am going to stay all day (well, several hours)

I am going to look at a couple of microfilms, and would be happy to do any specific or simple lookups. They have a lot of indexes etc which are not on-line, as well as microfilm records indexed in the Assisted Migrant Indexes.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Hi Di,

Thanks very much for the offer. Please only do what you feel able of the following as I have a lot of family who moved to Australia and they are the nearest relations of my mum as she was an only child of an only child. We would dearly love to find any living rellies (which I have been trying to do for ~20years!).

Please could you have a look for the marriage details of:
    Jessie Edith Woodley to Herbert George Burnage in 1910 in Newcastle. Registration number 2185.
    John Stamford Woodley to Mary A Dickinson in 1898 in Hamilton. Registration number 3418.
    (Septimus) Charles Woodley to Isabel Hawkins in Wickham, Northumberland in 1924. Registration number 6114.
    Marion Hannah Meyers to George A Leech in Sydney in 1908. Registration number 9822.
    Florence Irene Meyers to Leslie G Ginn in Woollahra, Sydney in 1913. Registration number 9962.

Also birth detail of:
    Eunice Woodley, daughter of (Septimus) Charles Woodley. Don't know who the mother was! She was registered in electoral roll as living with him in 1930 census, so I guess voting age of 18 and therefore birth between 1907 and 1913 very probably around Newcastle, she is the only possible living rellie we know of (so far).

Also the deaths of:
    Jessie Amy Woodley in 1944 in Burwood. Registration number 15528.
    Edith Rosalie Woodley d16/1/1961 in Hamilton (from grave details).
    (Septimus) Charles Woodley d18/5/1945 in Stockton, Gloucester. Registration number 12788.
    Herbert George Burnage died 1964 in Hamilton. Registration number 26679.
    Florence Irene Ginn died in 1925 in Redfern, Sydney. Registration number 544.
    Marion Hannah Leech (nee Meyers) died ~26/1/1960 around Manly.
    Jessie Edith Woodley must have died sometime after 1978 as I cannot see her death on NSW BDM indices.

Again, Please only do of this what you feel able and have time to do.
    Very many thanks,
    Geoff.
    Last edited by Geoff Devon; 21-07-09, 18:10.
    Woodcock(Dudley...Worcestershire Broseley...Shropshire) Woodley & Allen(Herts/Essex/London/Kent/Surrey... & NSW/Vic/Queensland... AUS) and MANY, MANY more...!

Sherlock always gets a result

Comment

Ooh, that's a good offer, thanks very much! Trying to think what my priorities might be

Will you be able to look at probate packages and complete passenger lists?

Another thing I'm interested in is children who were taken into State care in NSW. Do you happen to know if there are any records there (apart from the indexes for the Mittagong and Randwick homes, which are already online)?

Do they also have electoral rolls (other than those on Ancestry)?

Comment

Geoff, the voting age would have been 21, I think.

Comment

Hmm, most of the things I'm interested in are neither specific nor simple

However, there is one request that shouldn't be too difficult. If you have a look at this thread:

you'll see I'm looking for a convict called William Tapp who was transported to NSW on the Mermaid on 2/12/1829, arriving in NSW on 6/5/1830. As I can't find him in Oz, could you check the passenger list to see if he died on board?

Thanks a lot, but don't worry if you don't have time.

Mary

Comment

Hi Mary
            Complete passenger lists are on microfilm, so that won't too hard. Probate packets need the ref no to get them brought up, so if you have a name and date, I can look up the index and then request it. They have an hourly schedule, so I can request it, then do other things till it arrives.
            Don't know about children taken into care, but I can ask the staff.
            Will also look into William Tapp.

Di
            Diane
            Sydney Australia

Comment

Hi Geoff,
              Not sure if I wil be able to find anything about births or deaths, which are still held by the BDM Registrars Dept, will look at other sources. I know Newcastle Library has lots of baptisms for the area on microfilm, from the local churches, but will find out what else I can access

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

If there's time, I'd be interested in the will of James Lawler, who died at 231 Bulwarra road, Sydney, on 15/3/1909, aged 74. If there's any chance of getting a photocopy of it that'd be fantastic - obviously I'd refund you the cost. If it'd take too long, don't worry, though.

I'm rather curious to know who inherited, because he'd been living with my great-grandmother Lydia Inman née Grimshaw for years, and they had 6 illegitimate children together, but they only married three days before he died.

Lydia registered the marriage, but James' son Michael Lawler by his first marriage registered the death. I imagine there was quite a fall-out over the inheritance.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 20-07-09, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                  I know Newcastle Library has lots of baptisms for the area on microfilm, from the local churches, but will find out what else I can access
                  Do you happen to know where the Muswellbrook church marriage registers would be kept? I have a transcription of a marriage dating from 1893 which contains so little information that I can't identify one of the parties definitely, and I wondered if the church register might have more information.

Comment

Muswellbrook Church Registers would be at Newcastle public library, and yes they might well contain more information than the official registration. Will check if theres a will for James Lawler.

Di
                    PS I am off to bed now, will check again in the morning
                    Last edited by dicole; 20-07-09, 15:09.
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

Great, thanks very much.

Would the Newcastle public library give any info by e-mail, do you think, or do you have to go in person? The transcription came from Marilyn Rowan; do you happen to know if the official transcription agents include info from church registers, or just from the State records?

Comment

I've found the Newcastle "Ask a Librarian" page, so I've sent them an e-mail.

Comment

That's a very kind and generous offer. If you have any time for this - &/or it fits in particularly well with what you're already doing...

My niece has a chunk of her tree in NSW/VIC, and I realised I was writing a small essay, so I've deleted that and come up with this potentially interesting document. I don't know if it belongs in my niece's tree or not, but it might...

Insolvency Index
                          Surname ~ MARKS
                          FirstName ~ Morris
                          StreetAddress ~ Elizabeth St
                          Locality ~ Sydney
                          Occupation ~ Dealer
                          Sequestration ~ 23/02/1887
                          File Number ~ 21703

If this document fits into the tree, then these snippets might help check:
                          b 4 Mar 1834 Himbach, Germany
                          22 Oct 1868: naturalisation in England (Birmingham)
                          usual occupation: some version/variation of shoemaker/dealer
                          second wife: Celia

This MARKS family actually landed in NZ in early 1880, but I haven't found the connection to get them from NZ to Oz! I don't think that's something you can slip into your own research.

Enjoy your visit.

Christine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          In this context, researching: FRIEDMAN/FREEMAN (England, Oz, Pikallin in Lithuania), MARKS (England, Oz, NZ, Himbach-Limeshain in Germany), COHEN, JACOBS JONES, GOLDSMID, & GOLDBERG (Lithuania)
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-07-09, 19:26.
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            Great, thanks very much.

Would the Newcastle public library give any info by e-mail, do you think, or do you have to go in person? The transcription came from Marilyn Rowan; do you happen to know if the official transcription agents include info from church registers, or just from the State records?
                            The transcription agents go to the BDM Registry, which holds the early church records, pre-civil reg. The later church records are held elsewhere, like Newcastle Public Library. I don't know how much they would do for you. I have a cousin who lives there who used to look up things for us.

Di
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia

Comment

OK, thanks, that's useful to know.

Comment

Hi Christine

I don't think the insolvency papers are to hard to deal with - I will just send off a request to the stack and see what comes back.

I looked at my Robert Martins papers and they were interesting, but it just raised more questions so now I am looking for supreme court proceedings to see more about the debt that made him insolvent.

Di
                                Diane
                                Sydney Australia

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                                  Hi Christine

I don't think the insolvency papers are to hard to deal with - I will just send off a request to the stack and see what comes back.

I looked at my Robert Martins papers and they were interesting, but it just raised more questions so now I am looking for supreme court proceedings to see more about the debt that made him insolvent.

Di
                                  That would be helpful.

I suspect that the only way to get the bulk of what we'd like (that "essay" I deleted! ;)) is to make the trip myself - or get my niece to do so one day.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks so much for the offer. I've got a few things I'd love to have details for if you have the time. If you incur any costs I'll happily refund them.

The marriage between Frank Kenneth MURRAY and Ethel Edna PIPER 1945 Reg.no.6608/1945 Sydney, Australia. He should be the son of Frank MURRAY and Elizabeth Annie FOSTER both originally from England.
                                    15th August 2002 death of Kenneth F MURRAY (I'm sure this is the same person as he preferred to use his middle name), husband of Ethel as reported in the Sydney Morning Herald 17th August that year.

All information from the certs is valuable to my researches, especially whether or not the couple had any children and any clues as whether Ken's brother Peter survived to adulthood ie. was he a witness at the wedding? and were Ken's parents together at the time of the wedding. I have a funny feeling they may have divorced. I know what became of his father but not his mother.

Where is Ken buried or had his ashes scattered and has Ethel died in the years since then?

For the OH's family I'd love to have details of the 1912 birth of Mary Johnson Kirk ANDERSON. There is some doubt if she had 1 middle name or 2. Where was she born, where was the family living? She was the daughter of Hugh ANDERSON and Robina Cowan LEES both orginally from Scotland.

Is it possible to tell from indexes if Hugh and Bina had any more children who may have been stillborn or died in infancy? (She was to have at least 4 such tragedies later in New Zealand).

The Anderson family left Australia for New Zealand about 1920. I know this one's a real needle in a haystack as I can't be exact on the date but are there any records showing when they left NSW?

Comment

Hi Galloway Lass, and Geoff

I will not be able to look at details of Births, deaths and marriages, they are held by BDM Registrar and you have to pay for the certificates (or transcriptions thereof, which are about half the official cert. price). I can look at the microfiche indexes after 1908(which is online) up to 1918 for births. But I am looking at what other records are available.

There are no outgoing records, I think, unless at the NAA, but you might pick up incoming to NZ, I know they are doing some. I can look up the Death notices, and perhaps marriage notices in the SMH.

NSW death cerrtificates, will tell,(if the informant knew, of course), age, place of birth, father and mother and occupation of, marriages, how many and when, children, name and if alive, how long in NSW, and where buried, so they are really worth getting if you can.

Di
                                      Diane
                                      Sydney Australia

Comment

HI Galloway Lass

I found some information on Frank Kenneth Murray who joined the RAN as a cook. It looks like he married Ethel while on leave in Sydney in 1945. He was not discharged from Navy until 1946. His Navy records give his parents address in Perth, and there are a couple of burials in the Perth Cemeteries website which could be them - do you have birth dates for them ?
                                        Diane
                                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
                                        X