Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Guide Cricket Team..........?

Any opinions on this photo please?

This is my mum, sitting, far right. She looks about 15 ish? And it looks like she is part of a girls cricket team in the girl guides.........picture would have been taken around about 1924/5.
    There are only 8 girls here.....always thought there was 11 players in a cricket team.....unless some were absent!

Would anyone have any further comments on this picture?
    I think mum must have left school when it was taken, but may have still been in the guides.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

It does look like a cricket bat but rather short - could it be rounders? I can't remember how many there are in a rounders team.

The Guides look a little older than the girls. I wonder if they are coaching a team as part of a badge project?
    Edit to say - just realised the one on the left is a Guider (adult)!!

Anne

Comment

I'm sure it is a cricket bat Anne, on the original picture you can see the handle clearly.
      At first I thought this was a school picture....but am sure mum would have left school by then. So was wondering about her young adult activities etc........She was born in Manchester, so was probably a Manchester troop (or should that be troupe?) Never sure which.
      Jen

Comment

When I was a Guide - a very long time ago! - we called ourselves a Company. The Scouts were in Troops.

Anne

Comment

I didn't get that far Anne......only managed the Brownies!
          Jen

Comment

erm...that's not a cricket bat, the handle's wrong..........I'm pretty certain that's an old rounders bat...

Comment

6 a side rounders...........

Comment

one of the girls has number 9 on her dress

Comment

Only eight players....!!!!

Comment

I've just checked, there should be 9 players on a rounders team, the school matches I remember all had about 40 a side, but it was fun....

Comment

If thats the case Barbara, looks like no's 1 or 3 could be missing. The bat looks pretty wide/broad for a rounders bat, the ones we played with were more like an American baseball bat..........unless they came like that then?
                      Jen

Comment

Hope this link works:

scuda
                        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

And an older picture here:

Google Image Result for http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk/collections/local-history/social-history-images/197467by/imageFile_480

scuda
                          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

They're great Scuda, the girls look a little younger, than on mum's photo, thats why I'm sure she had left school and was still in the guides. But no doubt that the rounders bats appear to be the same. Even those large numbers they're wearing. Thanks for helping give me more answers.
                            Thanks to everyone for replying too.
                            Jen

Comment

Working...
                            X