Died at Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Died at Sea

I'm trying to trace my OH's great grandfather who was a Scottish Captain in the Merchant Navy,named William Baillie, sailing out of Thurso or Castletown. He died sometime between 1900 and 1908 but I cannot find any trace of a death certificate. Where would be a good place to find out where, when or how he died.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Have you tried Scotland's People. I would reckon he should be in what's called Minor Records if he died at sea but was resident in Scotland. The help files on the site will explain better than I can what is covered in Minor Records.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. Tried a search on Scotlands people, with the extra info I have, dob 1843, mother's maiden name Gunn or Gun, and got no results. Will keep trying though.

By the way Galloway Lass, he was married to a Calder, but she was from Caithness.

Thanks again

Linda
      Linda

Comment

Try again but don't put mother's maiden name in the search. They are not indexed that far back and unless you also have a check in the "unrecorded mother's maiden name" box, you might have missed a vital match. Also give yourself a +/- 5 or 10 years on the dob to be sure. I have had a couple of people in the past where the informant had no real idea of the deceased's age at death which threw my dob search terms right out of the window.

Comment

Thanks. will try again

Linda
          Linda

Comment

Working...
          X