St Lawrence's, Reading burial help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Lawrence's, Reading burial help, please

I'm trying to locate the grave of a man who I hope is the link to a lost branch of the family. He was living in London when he died, but his will states: “... my interment which I desire may be in a suitable manner in a Burial Vault and Leaden Coffin within the walls of Saint Lawrences Church Reading in the County of Berks and as near my late wife as may be convenient ..”. His name was Edward Pitman, and he died between 6th July and 11th September 1817. I'm hoping that the burial record would have his age, or even better, there would be a headstone with an informative inscription. Can anyone help me find this information, please? I have no other relatives in Berkshire (to the best of my knowledge), so I can't see me managing a trip there just for this one thing.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

have you tried asking berkshire fhs?
    BerksFHS Home Page

An introduction to collections
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Hi I have the berkshire burial index, all it says about him on there is that he died 24th July 1817 aged 90, he was an esquire and that he died London, Fitzroy Square, Charlotte Street! Hope that helps a little bit?
      Tessie

Comment

Reading Records office might be able to check for you - sometimes there are plans of churchyards with graves marked, even when there were no memorial stones or the stones have been damaged or lost.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

That's great Tessie, that fits exactly with the baptism in 1827 that I think is him. Thanks so much. Is there any sign of his wife on the index? I think her name was Mary, but I've no idea when she died (before Edward, obviously!).

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

There is one mary but no details only that she died in 1773 in London, no other detailsI am afraid!
            Tessie

Comment

Also it is spelt St Laurence (without the w).

Comment

Thanks for the info on Mary, Tessie, it's a shame there's no age for her, but their children were born in the 1760s, so a 1773 death fits with what I know. Sorry I've been spelling Laurence the wrong way, it looks like a w in the will, but it's not the easiest writing to read.

Thanks Jean and Nell, I'd been wondering about the FHS and the Records Office, but Tessie came up trumps very quickly.

scuda

Comment

just looked on IGI and it says mary was born. c1727 London
                  Tessie

Comment

Thanks again Tessie, but unless you've found something I haven't that's a submitted entry, which I'm inclined to ignore. Most of the submitted entries for Edward are wrong, according to what I'm now unravelling.

scuda

Comment

Oh, thats annoying and frustrating! Good luck
                      Tessie

Comment

Working...
                      X