X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where has Thomas gone?

Hi,
    Can anyone help please?

I have Thomas Harper b 29 Mar 1835 Newington Surrey, he marries Matilda Underwood on 17 Aug 1861 at Albany Chapel Camberwell. They have 3 children:- Harry, Selina Matilda, Emily and Jane - I got these names from the will of his mother Barbara Harper who died in 1896.

In the will she leaves money to the 3 children and says Thomas is dead. The money she leaves for Matilda is given to her sister Emma Jane (c1854) who by then is married to ? Ruthven, 'for the benefit of Matilda'.

The last sighting I have for Thomas before the marriage in 1861 is here RG9; Piece: 100; Folio: 21; Page: 40.

Can anyone find him and his family on a census after that?

I have checked BMD but as the name is common I haven't homed in on anything with any certainty.

I'd appreciate any help in locating this family.

Margaret

They have 3 children:- Harry, Selina Matilda, Emily and Jane ??? thats 4 isnt it?

when might any of these have been born?
    Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
      They have 3 children:- Harry, Selina Matilda, Emily and Jane ??? thats 4 isnt it?

when might any of these have been born?
      Correct Jess - oops!:o

I don't know the only info I have for them is from the will. I can't even find the sister Emma Jane Ruthven after 1871 when she is still single.
      Margaret

Comment

presumably after they married but before Granny died - sorry, that obviously the case ( isn't it? )
        Jess

Comment

Yes it is.
          Margaret

Comment

there appears to be a family who could be them on the 1881 Candian census, wife Matilda and 2 of the childrens names match, only 2 Thomas harpers come up, think yours is the top one...you can accesss it through the LDS site. Emma Jane Underwood is with them as well.

Nicky
            Last edited by nickyinsunnysussex; 19-07-09, 16:57.

Comment

Originally posted by nickyinsunnysussex View Post
              there appears to be a family who could be them on the 1881 Candian census, wife Matilda and 2 of the childrens names match, only 2 Thomas harpers come up, think yours is the top one...you can accesss it through the LDS site. Emma Jane Underwood is with them as well.

Nicky
              Brilliant Nicky - thanks a lot! I'll have a look at that. I keep forgetting they have that census on LDS.
              Margaret

Comment

Hi Nicky,
                That was excellent I have had a look and it is them and found them in 1871 too!
                Thanks a lot.
                Margaret

Comment

Glad to have helped....its amazing how a fresh pair of eyes can find something you`ve spent months looking for............

Nicky

Comment

Working...
                  X