Collieries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collieries

Would anyone know whether there would be a register of colliery workers anywhere?

I'm looking for two specific areas..

Moston in Manchester
    and
    Newbiggin, Northumberland

Many Thanks

Have you had a look in our wiki??

Mining and Heavy Industry - Family Tree Forum
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You might find some information on the Durham Mining Museum site as it does cover Northumberland too. Not sure there are any lists of employees though.

Durham Mining Museum - Friends of Durham Mining Museum

Their link to the T&W Archives doesn't work so try this.

Last edited by Durham Lady; 19-07-09, 10:52.
      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Gosh, thanks for those. The Durham one is fantastic - very informative!

Comment

Google - the Institue of mining, Newcastle upon Tyne. They have information about mining in the area. They may not be able to help yet, as they have huge records to catalague. Also they are only open part time. But worth a try!

Anne

Comment

I have recently been to Wales researching my tree, and one of the things we found out is that when the mines were closed, the kindly!!! office staff disposed of all paperwork relating to employees so that there would be no come backs later on (claims etc) as any compensation claims are inherited by the next of kin. So in Wales they burned all their papers down a mine shaft to be sure that they were destroyed.
            I am not sure if this is the case in other areas, but i find it very sad, as most of my Welsh family were miners and i would love to know where they had worked.
            My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
            Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

Do a google search of the name you are researching - you MIGHT be lucky

My great uncle was an under manager at New Hartley. I got a hit which took me to the Durham mining museum site, where there was a full record of his career.
              A more recent google search took me into the Northumberland Record Office site - there was a recently added picture of Great Uncle Bob, doing an underground inspection.
              I am thrilled with both finds as they put flesh on the bones

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'll follow them all up!

Tracy

Comment

Just to say that prior to nationalisation circa 1947, all collieries were privately owned. Records could be a bit sparse for some of the smaller companies.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X