Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who did this man marry ?

I cannot get my head around this for some reason
    Paul Pitts marries in 1854 June quarter Marylebone 1A 730 cannot find the wife her name should be Sarah ???
    anybody thanks ?

Sarah Hawkes! (Just click on Paul Pitts' page number on Freebmd, that brings up everyone on the same page)

OC

Comment

oh thanks OC I cant get on with that site dont know why??? and can never understand why sometimes there are 5 people on the same page on ancestry and not a even number ??
      thanks again

Comment

Sometimes they just haven't transcribed the sixth person, or they have mislaid them, lol.

Other times, it is really only four people, but one of them either has another surname or the transcriber couldn't decide on the spelling.

I much prefer Freebmd to Ancestry, so much simpler than click-click-click on Ancestry, takes me about ten minutes to find which marriage index I'm looking for!

OC

Comment

Sometimes the page number's mistranscribed, too.

I'm always surprised when people say they don't use FreeBMD.

I never use Ancestry to search for marriages pre-1916, because you can't include the second spouse's Christian name like you can on FreeBMD.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-07-09, 23:06.

Comment

I need a lesson in how to find the spouse on BMD

Comment

OK, suppose you find a John Bloggs on the census living with his wife Mary.

Go to FreeBMD - Search

Click on Marriages

Fill in as follows:

Surname Bloggs
              First name(s) John
              Spouse/Mother surname [leave blank]
              Spouse first name(s) Mary

Fill in the earliest and latest dates, and select the county, if you want to.

I don't usually select the district unless there are far too many names coming up and I want to cut them down a bit.

Comment

If the names aren't too common, you can even search with Christian names only, omitting the surnames (e.g. look for a Marmaduke who married a Priscilla in a certain county). That can be useful if the Christian names are unusual and you suspect one or both surnames may have been mistranscribed.

You can also use wildcards, e.g. searching for Blo* will bring up Bloggs, Bloom, etc.

In the Christian name field, there's no need for a wildcard: for example, searching for Mar* will bring up Mary, Maria, Marie, etc.

Comment

After mid-1911 you can include the mother's maiden name when you search for children.

Click on births

Fill in as follows:

Surname Bloggs
                  First name(s) [leave blank]
                  Spouse/Mother surname [Guttentag]
                  Spouse first name(s) [leave blank]

This will find all children with the surname Bloggs and the mother's maiden name Guttentag.

Comment

thanks Mary hopefully this will save me a lot of frustration.

Comment

I'm sure Val knows this, but for anyone who doesn't, when you find a marriage that looks promising, click on the page number; this brings up all the marriages on the same page (usually 4, 6 or 8 names), in alphabetical order.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        thanks Mary hopefully this will save me a lot of frustration.
                        Try it out with a couple of names on your tree, and if anything isn't clear, just yell

Comment

well I thought I knew that but as I found out on ancestry it doesnt work like that.
                          Thanks you will hear me if it dont work.

Comment

You can also in the date period just put in a start date ie 1875 and it will search from that date to the end.

Comment

thanks James will remember that

Comment

Val, there is also some useful info in the wiki
                                Searching the FreeBMD site - Family Tree Forum
                                Elaine

Comment

now Elaine you know me and the WIKI dont get on you trying to get rid of me ??
                                  seriously thanks for that link .

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                    I'm sure Val knows this, but for anyone who doesn't, when you find a marriage that looks promising, click on the page number; this brings up all the marriages on the same page (usually 4, 6 or 8 names), in alphabetical order.
                                    If you are very lucky, there are only two names on the page !! Then you know for sure
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia
                                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Diane

Um, no you don't, there may be two names missing!

OC

Comment

Val, also on FreeBMD you can put just a surname in and search your particular area and it will bring up all Bs Ms and Ds (singly or collectively) for any date range.

I have found a lot of likely infant B/D between census like this. They need to be confirmed, obviously, with either register or cert.
                                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                                        X