Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone be able to do a US look-up for me, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anyone be able to do a US look-up for me, please?

My great-great-grandfather's sister MARTHA ALEXANDER married ABEL LORD BUTTERWORTH. I now believe they emigrated to the USA (I have found a site with one of them on). They were on the 1861 census in Lancashire.

Could anyone with Ancestry Worldwide Membership find some details for me, please:

Abel A Butterworth - Ancestry.co.uk

For Abel Alexander Butterworth.

Then his father Abel Lord Butterworth is shown as being on the 1871 census in Merrimack, hopefully all the family are with him.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Hi elizabeth

I think this is them. PM me if you would like the image

Butterworth Abel L 44 Worker in Woollen Mill
    Martha 39
    Annie 17
    Emma 14
    Abel A 12
    Eliza 10
    Franklin, Merrimack, New Hampshire
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

If you have a look here:
      Castle Garden
      I think you'll be able to find the inbound record in 1865... tho' you have to pay if you want the full result.

Martha's there as wife, 34.

If you just put in the surname, and ship name plus 1865, you get Martha and children, but no adult males.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-07-09, 13:04.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found Abel L! - as A L, travelling in the September before his family in the December.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Jeanette and Christine, many thanks for your replies, which helped greatly. All the children survived the journey safely.

Is there any way I would find out what happened to Martha Butterworth (nee Alexander) and her husband Abel Lord Butterworth?
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Oh, Christine, thank you - he obviously wanted to check it all out before he arrived!

And also thanks to Marion H for her help.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Isn't the 1880 census free on LDS?... withe caveat that, at the moment:
              Web Site Maintenance In Progress
              Periodic delays and interruptions are expected.
              Web site access may be limited.
              Thank you for your patience.
              Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-07-09, 13:21.

Comment

Found Abel L in 1880 using the pilot search site:
                FamilySearch Record Search

And there's a record of Abel A in 1900, with wife, Emma. You get the image for that, too. He's in the 1880 with his wife, too - but no image.

Daughter, Ann, was Christened in Rochdale in 1853.

Christine

Comment

Looks like a widowed Martha in 1900 in Bow Town, Merrimack. b July 1831.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    Looks like a widowed Martha in 1900 in Bow Town, Merrimack. b July 1831.

Christine
                    Just come back from the supermarket shop!

Many thanks, Christine. I know have a far better idea what happened to them.

The breakthrough came when I googled "Abel Lord Butterworth" and got this site:

On page 37 Annie Butterworth's marriage is given, with her parents' names.

The lady to whom the tree belongs is a professional genealogist! I have e-mailed her and hope to hear from her soon. I have given her some information on Martha and Abel Lord Butterworth, which she probably hasn't got.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

That's great news Elizabeth - and really pleasing to feel that you can offer something in the way of a Quid pro Quo!

Christine

Comment

Christine, the wonderful Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerks have been of service again:

OPC, Online Parish Clerk, family history, local history, free data, parish registers, census, Lancashire

I had the BMD reference for the marriage of Abel Lord Butterworth and Martha Alexander some time ago and found this at roughly the same time.

My great-great-great-grandfather Charles Alexander Alexander was probably born c. 1797 in Wiltshire. He married in Lambourn, Berkshire, to Martha Franklin. Their children were born there, but they moved up to Lancashire in the 1830s. Charles died in 1840, so I never got to discover where he was born. Unbelieivably I have his trade card from the 1820s when he was still in Lambourn. It was given to my grandfather when he went over to the USA in May 1945 by another family member who emigrated there. He was a stenciller, joiner, painter.

I assume that Abel Lord Butterworth and family emigrated when times got tough in the Cotton Famine. He was a bookkeeper according to his marriage entry.
                        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 18-07-09, 16:28.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Lucky you, indeed! I don't think they have a "smiley" for green-with-envy, do they!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            My great-great-grandfather's sister MARTHA ALEXANDER married ABEL LORD BUTTERWORTH. I now believe they emigrated to the USA (I have found a site with one of them on). They were on the 1861 census in Lancashire.

Could anyone with Ancestry Worldwide Membership find some details for me, please:

Abel A Butterworth - Ancestry.co.uk

For Abel Alexander Butterworth.

Then his father Abel Lord Butterworth is shown as being on the 1871 census in Merrimack, hopefully all the family are with him.
                            I found your, now very old, post as I was looking for some info on my great great grandparent, Abel and Martha Butterworth. You might be interested in looking at a website I made last year for a family reunion. I found some information on the family and lots of pictures. The site is http://dowharrisreunion.com/index.html

The first pictures on the pictures page are of Abel and Martha. The third was taken in England and I'm not sure who it is. The fourth is of Martha in front of her house in New Hampshire. Many of of the next pictures of of the Butterworths. Some are unidentified at present.

The three younger children all ended up in California. My great grandmother, Eliza, and her two, by then grown, children came in 1901 to San Bernadino. I believe Emma's family came at the same time. Abel and his family may have come at a different time.

Eliza was widowed when my grandfather, Jay Dow, was only seven. She eventually outlived three husbands. I remember her vaguely as a very old woman. She loved to travel and at one point visited her family in England.

If you have more info on this family I'd love to hear from you. I know nothing about them until they arrived in New Hampshire.

Comment

I have only just spotted this post! How lovely that you found this thread - you posted on my daughter's wedding day.

I found your website just a few days ago before I saw your reply and have e-mailed the site owners and I think I have e-mailed you as well. I have already added information to the tree.

I have lots of Alexander information to share with you and I have lots of things which I think will be of interest to you. I can't wait to hear from you.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth, Abel and Martha are my great, great , grandparents on my mothers side. My father has done extensive geneology and I have a pair of candleholders she brought with her from England. I believe we have picturess too. There are other stories that have been passed down. What information are you looking for?p

Comment

I believe memorial pages for Martha and "Able" are listed in Findagrave:

The memorials do not have photos of the headstones, but you can request them - you'll need to create a login (free) and make the request (also free) then ... wait. Sometimes you can receive a prompt response, sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes it doesn't happen. I've experienced all three.

Oh, and quite probably, Annie:
                                  Annie Butterworth was the wife of George F Woodward. Annie was the daughter of Abel L Butterworth and Martha Alexander. Annie and George had a daughter Annie May Woodward Hines.
                                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 17-06-12, 04:41.

Comment

Butterworth Family

Originally posted by davidc View Post
                                    Elizabeth, Abel and Martha are my great, great , grandparents on my mothers side. My father has done extensive geneology and I have a pair of candleholders she brought with her from England. I believe we have picturess too. There are other stories that have been passed down. What information are you looking for?p
                                    David-- I may be your distant cousin. My great grandmother is Eliza Butterworth (the youngest sister of Annie Butterworth) who married Sylvester Dow. I responded to Elizabeth's post when I found it a year or so ago and had some correspondence with her. There is a post from me at that time on this website.

Comment

Chaarm, This is fabulous! I saw the reunion website and recognized the names. I called my dad to confirm what I suspected. Our line comes from Annie May Butterworth who married GeorgIe Woodward and their daughter, Annie May. She married John Hinds which is now spelled Hines. She is my great grandmother. I remember her brother, Albert very well. We have pictures and supporting documents. Abel's father is John and mother is Anne(?). Martha's parents - Charles Alexander and Martha Franklin. This is all we have on the England line. Hoping to get more from others. DavidC

Comment

David, I believe we have been in contact before?

I have lots of detail about Charles Alexander and Martha Franklin and their history.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                                        X