Thank you

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
    Is anyone able to find a birth in Essex please
    Matilda Burls b about 1826 in Hutton Essex
    I have looked everywhere I am able to
    Also found a strange surname for a rellie, it was Whalebelly
    Any thoughts
    Thank you
    IGI is off line at the moment 'for maintenance' so can't see anything for you.
    Margaret

Comment

There's loads of Whalebelly births in Norfolk showing on BMD.
      Have you got a full name you need info on?
      Margaret

Comment

Whalebelly is a strange name, but I have heard of it before and remembered it, probably because it is....strange!

OC

Comment

It is Matilda Burls I am searching for. I was wondering the origin of Whalebelly

Comment

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but in the 1851 census there's a Matilda Burles aged 29 with her husband Horatio and several children, living in Paglesham, Essex. Her place of birth is given as Whitchurch in Oxfordshire. With such unusual first names and surrname perhaps there's a link somewhere? If you don't have access to the 1851 census and want a copy of this entry let me know.
            Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

A quick google suggests the name is a corruption of the place name Walbury, and is a very old Anglo Saxon surname (Hmmmm, most people didn't have a surname in Anglo-Saxon times, but never mind)

OC

Comment

nothing on IGI for Matilda nor can I see her in censuses. Nor can I find Hutton in Essex, but only in Cumbria.

Where did you get your information about her?
                Last edited by Little Nell; 18-07-09, 16:13.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell - there's definitely a Hutton in Essex! Near Brentwood. The problem is that a lot of Essex does not appear on IGI.

Looking at the Censuses, Burls does seem to be an Essex name. But only a married Matilda coming up and she's not born in Essex (see SomersetSal's post) How sure are you of these details?
                  Sue

Comment

There are a lot of parishes either called Hutton or beginning with Hutton. Is it definitely the Essex Hutton?
                    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Is this Matilda Brown, aged 35 born Hutton Essex, wife of Richard Stephen Brown living in Margate in 1861? Did you get her maiden name from a marriage cert or a child's birth? If marriage then a father's name may help to track her down
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith that is the correct Matilda. I got her name from another tree
                        Do you think I made a mistake doing this

Comment

Have you tried contacting the tree owner to see where they got their information from? I can't see any likely marriages on FreeBMD although this seems a possible birth for their eldest son which would give you her maiden name at least.

Richard William Brown N Aylesford vol 5, p 439, Mar 1847
                          Sue

Comment

In 1871 she shows as a widow, aged 46 born Brentwood Essex, which was probably the nearest large place to Hutton. I'm at the Essex Records Office tomorrow afternoon. I have a look up for one other FTF member and will take a look at Hutton regsters if you like.

Ahh, just found her with husband Richard Brown in Wandsworth in 1851, aged 26 birthplace mistranscribed as Hilton but it says Hutton on image.

Comment

Judith I would be very grateful for your help.
                              I am not online after today for 2 days so thank you

Comment

Well I looked for Matilda at the ERO but I'm afraid I haven't got you any further in your quest. First I searched the Hutton registers from 1816 to 1836 - only one Burls baptism William son of William and Elizabeth Burls of Hutton on 12th October 1823. I also searched for just the first name Matilda and would you believe that no one called Matilda was baptised in Hutton between 1815 and 1836!
                                I looked on the map for surrounding parishes and searched Ingrave to the south and South Weald and Brentwood to the westof Hutton.
                                Ingrave had two Burls families baptising children in the 1820s but no sign of Matilda, Brentwood had no Burls at all 2 years either side of 1826 which was as far as i had time to search, South Weald had one family, baptising Henry in 1826 and Mary and Frances in 1828 - again I only searched 1824-1828

Sorry I couldn't find Matilda. I think a birth cert of one of her children to verify the surname is the way to go but still seems strange there was no Matilda in Hutton perhaps her family were non conformists?

Comment

Working...
                                X