Look ups !! Just an acknowledgement would be nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look ups !! Just an acknowledgement would be nice

I always thank people for trying to help me on here ,and as I'm not as quick as some dont always manage to get to help others as much ,but when I do after sometimes spending quite some time finding stuff it would be nice if the person concerned would just acknowledge it instead of just replying to the next to post even if it is wrong or doesnt help a thanks would be nice.
    Its only a minor few but most annoying.
    I find myself going back and deleting my posts as they are ignored anyway .

Know exactly how you feel Val. I do that too when I am ignored.:(
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I always try to say thanks for any help given, even if its a bit later before i get back online, just to be courteous and I always and really grateful for any help offered
      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

I don't suppose people are deliberately ignoring you, but it can be a bit overwhelming, especially for a newcomer, if a lot of replies arrive in a short time, and it's easy to miss one.

Personally I wouldn't delete the reply, because if the person who asked the question missed it the first time round, they won't find it later.

I find the threads don't always refresh properly, and I often end up posting a reply to a question that's already been answered because I didn't see the original answer.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-07-09, 12:27.

Comment

I quite agree Mary if thats the case but the latest one only had two replies ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            I quite agree Mary if thats the case but the latest one only had two replies ???
            OK, I can't think of a good reason in that case Unless your reply was incorrect and the poster thought they'd offend you by saying so, but even so, a thank you wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

It depends how they read threads whether they will even see replies. If they just scroll quickly down and read the bottom one, replies further up the page, maybe from the day before, can be easily missed.

I don't think anyone on the site would deliberately set out to offend anyone.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Also I think if the information is exciting for someone they dash of to look at it and maybe get caught up in that and simply forget.
                Margaret

Comment

I do understand all that I really do nobody gets as excited as me but probably I over thank people as I'm so pleased not forget and run off to see what it means???
                  And there were only about 7 posts altogether and maybe 3 were hers so hardly lots to miss?
                  I dont suppose it is done on purpose most of the time but I do also think some people have no manners, sorry.

Comment

Last year I did a lot of look ups on Huguenot Ancestors on Genes Reunited, I often spent several hours researching other peoples ancestors, using various sources, sometimes over several days. I tried to be as thorough as possible, some times I didn't find much, other times lots, sometimes tracing their relatives all way back to France several generations. Most of course were very greatful, but occasionally some didn't even say as much as a simple thank you.

Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't a selfless act, I enjoyed helping others a great deal, but I also got valuable practice for the ongoing research into my own Huguenot ancestors by doing this research, which has proved very useful indeed, so I don't feel hard done by at all...but have to admit was a bit taken aback by the occasional persons lack of any sort of response at all, after gaining some very good results for them. I'd personally be embarassed not to at least say thank you to anyone who helped me in my tree..no matter how small. That is just common politness surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      I don't suppose people are deliberately ignoring you, but it can be a bit overwhelming, especially for a newcomer, if a lot of replies arrive in a short time, and it's easy to miss one.
                      I try to make sure that if there are a lot of replies that don't require an answer to each one a general "thank you to everyone who has replied" hopefully covers the courtesy angle.
                      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Hmmmm ~ well I'm still waiting for a thank you (or some kind of acknowledgement) for a photo I restored and colourised.
                        It wasn't one I intended doing but as I was asked, didn't like to say no.

It was a long time ago and on the previous restore thread

I live in hope :(
                        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Snap Rachel, I'm still waiting for one on Restoration thread to say Thank you too.
                          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                            Snap Rachel, I'm still waiting for one on Restoration thread to say Thank you too.
                            It doesn't always happen Wendy

Sometimes people take a while or just get lost on the website, but with this one there was a bit of a sob story to accompany it as I remember ~ so to ignore it would have looked bad
                            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

what about the reverse side...........what about if you put a question up and nobody responds..........can you moan about it..........lol..........i was only kidding....honest.........xx

Comment

Richard sweetie I just happen to have Huegenoats in my Husbands family are you busy ???LOL
                                Some people dont even put a general thank you either Marion .

Comment

thank you marion.........lol

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                    what about the reverse side...........what about if you put a question up and nobody responds..........can you moan about it..........lol..........i was only kidding....honest.........xx

Ah ~ you have to say 'please'

Comment

ok pretty please then

Comment

Hello Val, PM me the details happy to have a look and see.

Comment

Working...
                                        X