Might be of use-Master mariners 1860

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be of use-Master mariners 1860

Found this quite by chance - not quite sure how but think one of my ancestors is in it.
    THE MERCANTILE NAVY LIST AND ANNUAL ... - Google Books
    t is the mercantile navy list which tells you about masters and mates who have passed their certificates, when and where. It also has a register of ships, and questions for the exams.

Thanks Skingers.

Sadly it looks like my missing Master Mariner isn't there but I'm sure he existed - I'll find him some day!;)

Comment

Thanks for that skingers. Found my 3x-great-grandfather and one of his ships listed.
      Sarah

Comment

Great find, the middle of the book has testimonials and obits worth looking at.
        Last edited by Southwick; 21-07-09, 11:51.

Comment

Thanks for this finally got my ggggrandfathers masters number all I need now is his ship and how he died ........................

Roger

Comment

Here is the 1850 edition of the same book: THE MERCANTILE NAVY LIST. - Google Books

and the 1861 edition: THE MERCANTILE NAVY LIST AND ANNUAL ... - Google Books

and the 1867 edition: THE MERCANTILE NAVY LIST AND ... - Google Books

There are also "snippet views" of other editions.
            Sarah

Comment

This looks very useful indeed - thanks!
              Kind regards,
              William
              Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Yes thank you very much for that , will need my good eyes onto read most of it though lol
                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                  Here is the 1850 edition of the same book: THE MERCANTILE NAVY LIST. - Google Books

and the 1861 edition: THE MERCANTILE NAVY LIST AND ANNUAL ... - Google Books

and the 1867 edition: THE MERCANTILE NAVY LIST AND ... - Google Books

There are also "snippet views" of other editions.
                  Thanks for that Sarah - I will be searching for days now!
                  Ros

Comment

Wow great find thank you Ros and thank you Roger and Sarah for directing me here.

MACPANDA'S FAMILY **Please click in**

Comment

Any help appreciated

Hi everyone.This is my first post so please bear with me if I am in the wrong place !!
                      I came across the thread regarding Mercantile listss for 1850/1861 and 1867 when researching my Grandfathers Merchant Navy life and got quite excited when it becam a great help to me. I downloaded the 1850 and 1867 using the links in Skingers and Cloggies links,but unable to download the 1861 intact. It appears to download OK but when I try to open it I am informed that it is corrupt. I have a fast Broadband connection so can't be slow link.Is it possible that the link is broken. If any kind reader could help I would be very grateful or if you could point me to any other way of obtaining this Mercantile list for 1861.

Thanks

Sid
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-10-09, 09:44. Reason: Did not put reference in !

Comment

Hi Sid,
                        Welcome to FTF. I don't know why you are getting a corrupt file, but you don't need to download the Mercantile Lists to search & view them. You can search them by entering words in the "Search in this book" box on the left.
                        Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah ,

Thanks for very prompt reply and it is true I can search for info,but I would like to do more than that.

The reason for wanting to download complete MNL 1861 is the amount of information and very very interesting facts in the complete book.,which I thought would be great to browse at my leisure if I downloaded to my hard drive.

If there is any kind member who has it on hard drive or disk who would be willing to post to me (Snail or e-mail0 I would be more that pleased to re-imburse any costs involved.

Thanks again

Sid

Comment

Damn, Mine mariner died in 1849!
                            Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
                              Damn, Mine mariner died in 1849!
                              You might still be able to find some info on him elsewhere: Research guide C2: The Merchant Navy: Tracing people: Master mariners, mates and engineers : The Merchant Navy : Research guides : The Library : Researchers : NMM
                              There are links to more research guides at the bottom of that page.
                              Sarah

Comment

Thank you. Really promising. There are quite a few of those there, over a long timespan - though not necessarily available for full access.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X