Thomas Parry Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Parry Jackson

Can anyone help me find the marriage of my great grandfather Thomas Parry Jackson born 1870 in Sheffield, Yorkshire to Annie Beatson born 1872 also in Sheffield. I've checked the census records and worked out they married approx 1891-2, but have searched every where for years, but found nothing........so can anyone help??
    They did move to Gorton in Manchester on the 1901 & 1911 census before settling in Rotherham, Yorkshire, but drawn a blank there too.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Bev

Unfortunately there are some whose marriage never reached the GRO - for whatever reason.

Also there are those who never married - they just lived as if they were and registered their children as if they were.

Very frustrating:(

Anne

Comment

It might be worth keeping an eye on this page:
      Sheffield City Council

But there is a caveat:
      Please note, this is not a complete index.
      And also - consider looking long after you'd have thought the marriage should be - there are instances of marriages decades later than anticipated!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, Christine's right.

In OH's tree are a couple who married after all their children were born and they'd been together about 25 years.

Took me ages to realise.

Comment

Thank you for all your suggestions, and will check the link Christine, thanks.

I did search about ten years, even went to the record office and looked through the parish records, but then got the approx year from the 1911 census.
          I had wondered if they did actually marry, but spoke to my Dad's cousin who said she was told that Annie's parents disowned her when she married Thomas, as they thought she had married beneath her

Perhaps I'll never know.....

Bev

Comment

Bev

I've had a really good look but cannot find anything. Is it possible Annie was married previously and married in a different name? Not that I can find any Thomas Parry or Thomas P marrying any Annie!

Maybe her family disowned her because she was living over the brush?

OC

Comment

Hi OC

Thanks for looking, I don't think Annie was married previously, as can't find any marriage for her to anyone either. (Tried so many spellings of both Annie and Beatson)

I'm beginning to think I'll never solve this one, as I have also asked as many of the older family members I can and no one can help, but all believed they did marry

Thanks again

Bev

Comment

dont forget anne, ann, annie, hannah as spellings.
                do you have all the kids bc's to confirm she didn't have any previous names? or other christian names?

Comment

I had a problem finding my gg-gf Joseph HAILEY. He married in 1872 with a father Daniel but there was nothing suitable in the birth index for the age given in the census. Luckily it's not a very common name or it might have cost me a fortune.

The only way I was able to resolve the issue was by visiting Herts RO where I found Daniel was the illegitimate son of Joshua HAILEY & Elizabeth BENNETT who married 9 days after Daniel's baptism.

Daniel married as a HAILEY BENNETT & registered & baptised all his children as BENNETT. Then about 1860 the whole family dropped the BENNETT & the children all married as HAILEY & were registered as HAILEY for all subsequent events.

I'm not saying this is what has happened to yours: just don't give up. There are numerous other options out there.
                  Glen

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions, I did speak to one of their grandson's years ago and he confirmed their names, (which everything I found confirmed them too) and as he lived in London had been to search the indexes, but couldn't find their marriage either.
                    They had eight children, so not seen all their bc's but on the ones I checked she is down as Annie Beatson. Her family owned a cutlery business in Sheffield, and have managed to find most of her relatives, except her

I do have a couple Ellen Blagden and John Wake who I believe never married, as their children were baptised in both names Blagden Wake, or sometimes the father's name and occasionally the mothers.

I've been looking for nearly twenty years when I first started my tree, so won't give up, but these are certainly a mystery

Comment

In those days, I think it was easier to conceal the fact that you were not married. My gg grandfather seems to have split up with his wife (my gg grandmother) and 'married' someone else. She appears on the 1901 census as his wife. I have her death certificate which says she is his wife and she has his name. I also have her letter of Administration in which my gg grandfather says she was his wife and so does his son!!!!

I have searched high and low and sent for several wrong certificates and I'm 90% certain they never married. After all - my gg grandmother was still alive . At least I know he didn't commit bigamy, although the claims he made on the Admon were probably perjury!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                      X