Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would this have be issued for thanks ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would this have be issued for thanks ?

and can you read the districts Harriet_Hooper_Birth.jpg
    if you click on it enlarges

Hi Val

Birth certs issued for purpose of Insurance Act are to do with getting a job - I presume to show you are old enough to start working. My Dad had one.

The reg district is Langport (I think) and sub reg is Curry Rivel.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

hi and thanks I have a problem as although she was born in 1891 she is supposed to have married in 1895 ?????????? also she seems to have been born in either Somerset England and Somerset Maine USA ??????????????UGH

Comment

how old would you have had to be to get one of these Nell ?? I'm wondering if she was born in 1873 and this was issued in 1891

Comment

The cert shows the birth in 1891 and registered 1891.

The National Health Insurance Act was passed in 1911 so the copy cert would have to have been issued after that.

As you have a birth cert for her in Somerset England why do you think she is American and possibly married 1895?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think you'll find the first National health Insurance Act wasn't until 1911 and that the certificate was issued to do with sick pay or pensions rather than getting a job. Did the cerrtificate not have a date of issue on it?
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Val,
              I think the national insurance act came in 1911. I can't read the date this was issued, but I would guess it was 1911 or after.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The 1911 National Insurance Act was a key feature of the Liberal Reforms - some say a move towards the Welfare State; it had two parts:
                Part 1: Health insurance; those earning over £160 a year paid 4d (less than 2p) weekly, with 3d from employer and 2d from government into fund for free medical treatment and weekly sickness benefit of 10 shillings (50p) for up to 26 weeks if unable to work. It excluded women and members of workers' families, but removed the fear of the cost of medical treatment from many working-class men and gave a limited income during sickness.
                Part 2: Health insurance; those earning over £160 a year paid 4d (less than 2p) weekly, with 3d from employer and 2d from government into fund for free medical treatment and weekly sickness benefit of 10 shillings (50p) for up to 26 weeks if unable to work. Only some trades were covered. While it didn't give a living income, it did lessen the despair of some, while they looked for work.

While you might expect some opposition from many employers and the wealthier sections of society, there was, surprisingly, much resentment from the people it was designed to help - they didn't like stoppages from their meagre pay-packets, for a just-in-case scenario.

Comment

its dated 1891 ??? I have found her birth definitely in Somerset England 1871 ??? so maybe she was 21 then ??
                  Nell somebody had her in their tree on Ancestry but they obviously had not checked the record matches properly and had Somerset Maine instead of Somerset England.

Comment

Well, it definitely says 1871 at the top, but the body of the cert looks like 1891!!!!

I cannot read the date it was issued - at the bottom

"Witnessed my hand blah blah"

OC

Comment

Val, I have found some of my rellies on other folks ancestry trees and they state they were born/died in Sunderland, Maine USA when in fact they were born Sunderland Co Durham and I have the certificates from their daughter to prove it. She still lives in Co Durham :D
                      I wonder if Ancestry adds countries, always USA, if no country is put onto trees that are submitted.
                      My sister has a full birth certificate for herself that was issued when the NHS came into being it has a dark border around it. Before that Mum only had a short certificate for her.
                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                        Val, I have found some of my rellies on other folks ancestry trees and they state they were born/died in Sunderland, Maine USA when in fact they were born Sunderland Co Durham and I have the certificates from their daughter to prove it. She still lives in Co Durham :D
                        I wonder if Ancestry adds countries, always USA, if no country is put onto trees that are submitted.
                        My sister has a full birth certificate for herself that was issued when the NHS came into being it has a dark border around it. Before that Mum only had a short certificate for her.
                        I've seen this too Daphne & wondered if the default was USA.
                        Jay

Comment

if when you add a record to your tree on there you do get the option of which place names to add, but you have to be alert.

Comment

do you know OC I had missed that ?? thanks

Comment

one other little question please does it also say X the mark of Jane Hooper mother late Abbott ???????????????

Comment

I think it says 1891 (poorly formed 9) at the top, same as for year of birth,

It's the date at the bottom, saying when the copy was issued, that I can't make out.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                  one other little question please does it also say X the mark of Jane Hooper mother late Abbott ???????????????
                                  I read it as that.

Does it also say late Abbott(S) under the date??????

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I read it as

X the mark of
                                    Jane Hooper
                                    Mother
                                    Isle Abbotts
                                    Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                      I read it as that.

Does it also say late Abbott(S) under the date??????

edited to add -
                                      I don't think it can be late Abbotts - is it Isle (??) Abbotts - address of mother & place of birth?
                                      Jay
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Isle Abbotts is a village in South Somerset

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X