How Far...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Far...

In the 1500's and 1600's, how far would you expect somebody to travel ?

I'm asking because I have always wondered why one of my ancestors was removed via a removal order to Norton, Derbyshire from Killamarsh in 1814, I have always thought my ancestors came from Killamarsh so this obviously surprised me..

I have now found a Robert Wheelhouse marrying in 1588 in Norton, Derbyshire. This seems possibly to be one of my ancestors, seeing as Robert is a family name and the link to Norton.

My father has always told me that originally the Wheelhouses came from Yorkshire. Now I have found a Robert Wheelhouse born in Ripley, Yorkshire c 1568 which would put him in the right age bracket for the marriage down in Norton.

Is it feasible for this family to have travelled down to Norton from Ripley, which is quite a considerable distance in those days (almost 50 miles)

Many thanks for any thoughts.
    Last edited by champagnegal; 17-07-09, 16:52. Reason: spelling boo boo

Well Christopher Columbus travelled round the world as did Marco Polo!

50 miles was no further a distance then than it is now. The difference is that it would have taken longer. But our ancestors just took longer to go to places. Many of them would have thought nothing of walking 10 miles a day and a stage coach wouldn't have taken too long to do 50 miles, depending on the state of the roads.

The main reason people moved was for work so I would look at the occupations of the people involved.

Travel got easier with the railways, and now of course with air travel we are never more than a couple of days away from anywhere.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Removal Orders always removed the person back to the parish of their birth, or occasionally, a parish to which they had other settlement rights, so I would go on the evidence of the RO as being correct.

OC

Comment

my 2x grandmother was a Woolhouse. Could your family be part of this family there were a lot in the Sheffield, Rotherham area and Wheelhouse could easily have been changed over the years.

Sandra

Comment

Hi OC - No, he was definately born in Killamarsh, have got the parish record for that and it is definitely him on the removal order also with 8 out of his 10 children - 2 eldest were not removed

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Removal Orders always removed the person back to the parish of their birth, or occasionally, a parish to which they had other settlement rights, so I would go on the evidence of the RO as being correct.

OC

Originally posted by Sherbert Rose
          my 2x grandmother was a Woolhouse. Could your family be part of this family there were a lot in the Sheffield, Rotherham area and Wheelhouse could easily have been changed over the years.
          And I am sorry Sandra, they're not. Mine are from Derbyshire and then the Leeds area. I know my ggg grandad William (one of the two who wasn't turfed out of Killamarsh) married in 1825 in Laughton En Le Morthern which is, according to parish location, 10 miles away from Sheffield :(

Thanks for replying tho

Comment

That's really odd, then, because the parish authorities rarely made mistakes - the receiving parish wouldn't let them!

The only other explanation is that he had previously lived there (Norton) for some length of time and gained settlement rights that way. Settlement rights would have made it his parish of origin but not necessarily his birth.

Have you checked for a corresponding settlement order and/or another removal order? For one of my relatives I found no less than three Removal Orders in three days, each slightly different from the one before.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              That's really odd, then, because the parish authorities rarely made mistakes - the receiving parish wouldn't let them!

The only other explanation is that he had previously lived there (Norton) for some length of time and gained settlement rights that way. Settlement rights would have made it his parish of origin but not necessarily his birth.

Have you checked for a corresponding settlement order and/or another removal order? For one of my relatives I found no less than three Removal Orders in three days, each slightly different from the one before.

OC
              Believe me - this one is really odd, I have parish records of his family living in Killamarsh back to 1660, no other settlement orders, no other removal orders, am going back to matlock next week for some other records but am going to recheck again to make sure .

Comment

Working...
              X