Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Goostry emigrated to USA?

Hi all,

Being cheeky and wondering if anyone with worldwide search ability on Ancestry or similar could look something up for me.

I believe an ancestor - Jack Goostry (born 1905 Oldham) and his wife (name not known) emigrated to the USA. I do not know when they emigrated.

His wife died soon after they arrived in the USA and he married a Florrie Seville.

I would love to know more about him if anyone would be kind enough to help.

Thanks,

Pam

Hi Pam
    There is a John Goostry entered America 21/09/1925 Fathers name Frank Goostry this is the only one i can find Johns Birth 23/11/1902 died Florida 1981. Alan.

Comment

Thanks very much for that information Alan.
      When I renew my subscription I do intend to take out Worldwide.
      What you say is very interesting.
      I came across Jack recently when I met up with a distant family member (found during research) and Jack was his Uncle. He gave me a photo of Jack taken in 1925 with all his siblings.
      Possibly although he was known as Jack he was John on his birth certificate?
      I have tried to find a birth record for a Jack Goostry born at that time in Oldham and there is not one.
      The record you found shows the father as Frank and Jack's father was Frank and he was born in Oldham.
      I wonder if the photo taken in 1925 was taken as a keepsake as he was emigrating? He was the only one who went.
      The family did think he was 20 at the time the picture was taken but perhaps he was a little older.
      It looks as though that was him and once I have my own Worldwide access i will do more digging into John Goostry.
      Once again many thanks.

Comment

Hi Pam

There is a birth entry for a John Goostry in Oldham

1902 Q4 8d 630

Comment

Thanks Frazzled. It looks as though John decided to call himself Jack but then reverted to John when he emigrated or I guess on official documents he would have to be shown as he was on his birth certificate. He may well have still been known as Jack to friends and family.

Comment

That's the trouble with nicknames. I had a 'Jack' I couldn't find, I was looking for a John for ages and then I found him - as George James!!

Comment

Looking on LancsBMD - Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths - the 1902 mmn was WYKE.

And he had some siblings 1905 - 1917 - I removed the names, just in case any is alive - but you can find them on LancsBMD.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-07-09, 22:48.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just spotted this:
                GOOSTRY Frank / WYKE Winnifred / 1902 / Werneth, St. Thomas / Lancashire / Oldham CE247/5/248

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-07-09, 22:55.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you put his name in here:
                  Family Tree Legends

and pick up the SSDI entry:
                  Name - John GOOSTRY
                  Birth - 23 Nov 1902
                  Death - Apr 1981
                  Age - 78
                  Last Residence & Last Benefit - Pompano Beach, Broward, FL 33062
                  Issued By - New Jersey
                  SSN - 150-09-3273

If you apply for a copy of his SSN application (SS-5), you can get a photocopy - that's how I matched up my Errant Grandfather, because I could match the signature to the record of his marriage to my G-mother. There's quite a bit of info in the SS-5 that can be useful for checking that you have the right record - parents' names, for instance!

This info probably gives you enough to apply for a copy of the death cert (which appears to be Florida) - tho' it does cost. If you want to apply online, you can do so only through the expensive credit card system - and you need an exact date of death. It would be better to apply by post - but you can download the forms here, where all the necessary info is (if it is Florida - each State has it's own system):

Christine
                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-07-09, 23:15.

Comment

Wow! Thanks so much all of you.
                    The John Goostry born 1902 is definitely the Jack I am hunting for. I know his mother was Winifred Wyke so that clinches it.
                    Your help on this is much appreciated. Another little mystery solved.

Comment

Hi

At the same address for Feb 1985 with a birth year of 1907 is a Margaret Goostry
                      WendyP

Comment

Hi John Goostry died 23/04/1981 his Wife Margaret was born 27/11/1907.
                        He lived in New Jersey when he went to America his Aunt paid his fair and sponsered him into America.
                        He was not marr when he went there but did return to england and then back to America.

Comment

Hi

On the entry for John in 1925 going out to USA it does show him as bieng single and the address for who he was last with was Mother Mrs Frank Goostry at 372 manchester road Hollin(g)wood? Not quite sure on what that last part is spelt as.

There is a then a return to England trip in Jan 1937 to the same address but does not state who he was coming to see.

the a return trip to USA in Mar 1937 on which it is stated he was naturalised in 1932 in NJ

If you PM me you email addy I can these images on to you

Wendy
                          WendyP

Comment

I would not really bother with a world subsciption there are little bits of info but no where near what we have got in England, Canada,America, have got so many restrictions on access to info unless you are a close relly you can't have access.
                            You find out more by trawling the internet
                            John Goostry's aunt was a Mrs Palmer.
                            Looks like John did the American dream and retired to the Sunshine State.

Comment

Gosh! Lucky man.
                              I hoped to get a date when he emigrated but I have got so much more wonderful info. Jack/John has really come to life for me.
                              Thank you all of you for your time and interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                                Hi John Goostry died 23/04/1981 his Wife Margaret was born 27/11/1907.
                                He lived in New Jersey when he went to America his Aunt paid his fair and sponsered him into America.
                                He was not marr when he went there but did return to england and then back to America.
                                Would your birth record for Margaret tell us if she was born in England or America?

Am a bit confused as I though he married a Florrie Seville.

Comment

Hi

What do you know of Florrie Seville?

What reference have you got to show he married Florrie?

I'll take a look and see what I can find.

I don't think the place of birth would be on the birth record that Alan mentioned because as of yet we dont even know Margaret's maiden name the birth year was on the entry of death.

Hope I've not confused you more.
                                  WendyP

Comment

Hi Wendy,

Apologies, I have only just seen your reply.

All I have to go off is that John/Jack's nephew told me that his uncle married a Florrie Seville and that he was pretty sure they married in the USA.

He said that he lost one wife not long after he went to the USA and then he re-married, that is presumably the Margaret Goostry b. 1907 and still alive in 1985.

That is all I have I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                    X