MASSEY in Cheshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MASSEY in Cheshire

I am looking for a James Massey who married a Hannah Shallcros at Rostherne church in 1832, by banns -both of that parish. No parents shown.
    They are both on the 1841 census at Mere,
    He is on the 1851 census at Hulse Heath, Mere/Knutisford. -born at Knutsford aged 40 with his family.

So far so good. all documentation in place. However all the James Massey's I have tracked down as being born c 1811, Cheshire- either died before 1851 -or married someone else.
    There is one possible candidate so far, who married in August 1852 at the age of 40 stating he was a bachelor, how can I sort this out?

How can one be sure of connections if as in this case the fathers names are not shown on the marriage details--would they be held in other documents
    ?

Hello and welcome to FTF
    I have checked on ancestry and seen james massey in 1841 with hannah and mother inlaw and then as widower in 1851 still with mother inlaw.
    I cant think of any way of proving who his father was but maybe if you have exhausted the cheshire records on family search pilot then maybe you could see if he worked for one of the big estates there.
    there were two
    1 dunham hall- owned by the massey family near altrincham
    2 tatton park knutsford - a stones throw from Rostherne church.
    james' children's names may be a clue as one of his children seems to have been named after motherinlaw. maybe his son was named after his massey grandfather?
    also i have heard that shallcross is often mistaken as shawcross.
    good hunting.
    Angelina

Comment

Maybe it's just something about Cheshire Vicars, but my 3 x GGF married for the SECOND time in 1846 in Cheshire and was described as a bachelor.

He wasn't, he was a widower - and the Vicar should have known that, cos he buried the first wife!

OC

Comment

I have Massey in my late husbands tree from Cheshire and wonder if there may be a connection.
        Ann Massey 1841 census mistranscribed as Mossey with Sarah Massey mother and sons John, Thomas, George, living at Waverton Cheshire
        Ann married James Irlam from Guilden Sutton Cheshire

On the marriage cert Ann Massey's father named Thomas Is a Labourer and she married by banns Parish of Christleton 1855
        James is later mistranscribed as Islam in 1851/1871

Edna

Comment

Search | labs.familysearch.org

Familysearchlabs has the name Massey Cheshire which you can search and look at all Massey's many of them or just put in the details you are looking for and you may just come up with what you seek

Edna

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I have quickly searched the Labs.familysearch.org. which i didint know about, and found the name of one of the witnessess- to the second marriage-Henry Moston, so I am going to pursue this.
            On the first marriage in 1832 there is a James Hewit and on the second a Sarah Hewitt, so thats another line to follow.

The only son of of the first marriage is George, so may be a possible there. I know it was a common practice to call children after their grandparents at one time, so may be thats a clue.

thank you for your comments. I have got back to 1686 on the wrong line, --so I must be extra careful now!

Comment

on CPRDb there is a Hannah Shallcross babtised 23rd January 1804...residence is Wharton ??....father Samuel and mother Ann.....you`d have to check where Wharton is to see if it`s a possible....allan
              ADDED...just checked on mapquest....the registration for that babtism was in Davenham..........11 miles from Rostherne....allan....so it is a possible ??...allan
              Last edited by garstonite; 22-07-09, 13:02.
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

on CPRDb there is a Hannah Shallcross babtised 23rd January 1804...residence is Wharton ??....father Samuel and mother Ann.....you`d have to check where Wharton is to see if it`s a possible....allan
                That'll be me then - until we move in a few weeks

I am looking for a James Massey who married a Hannah Shallcros at Rostherne church in 1832, by banns -both of that parish.
                Rostherne is 16 miles from Wharton
                Last edited by jean; 22-07-09, 21:20.
                Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Thank you all.

Hannahs mother was Francis Shallcross, (Fanny) she is on the census of 1841+1851+1861. .
                  living in the last one with grandaughter & great Grd. So not Ann----Fanny is buried in the Shallcross grave at Rostherne

Comment

Massey in Cheshire ---continued.

I am now looking for the marriage and possible decendts. of a William Massey , bap at Rostherne in 1756, one of seven sons of George & Suzannah.

He inherited property in Plumley from an uncle. dont know if it was a cottage, shed or a piece of land.

Comment

Working...
                    X