Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Humphreys - Prees, Shropshire

Hi,

I have hit a brickwall with regards to researching my great x 4 grandma, Elizabeth Humphreys who was born 1809c according to the ages she gave at marriage/death/census.

On all census I can find her on, she states she is born in Prees, Shropshire. I have her marriage certificate to her second husband (1847) which states her father is Thomas Humphreys, shoemaker.

I have had a look at the IGI which does have an Elizabeth Humphreys born 1809 in Prees but wrong father, this lady's father was called William.

As I live in Manchester and cannot get to Shropshire, would anyone be able to kindly point me in the right direction of if there is anywhere I can possibly look to research this lady further?

Kind Regards

On all census I can find her on, she states she is born in Prees, Shropshire.
    Does that mean you've not found her in all possible censuses? Maybe she gives a different birthplace on any missing ones. Tell us if she's missing in any census (with details of her married name, children, etc) and we can have a hunt.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi Scuda

Im sorry, I didnt word that very well. I have found her on all available census between 41 and 71. She died as Elizabeth Lister in 1875 in Rawmarsh, Rotherham.

On the 41 census, she is widowed living in Rawmarsh with her 3 sons. The youngest, John, was actually illegitimate as Elizabeth's first husband, Edward Pope died in 1836. Elizabeth had another illegitimate son, Joseph, in 1841 an then married William Lister in 1847. She went on to have 6 more children with William.

Elizabeth married Edward Pope at St Peters in Wolverhampton in 1832 and had their first child there. Then they moved to Rotherham and had the second son there in 1835.

I have found Edward Pope's burial at Rawmarsh in 1836.

Regards

Comment

There are various possibilities to explain the situation with Elizabeth's father:

You may have the correct baptism, but Elizabeth was later orphaned and brought up by Thomas (perhaps a brother of her father's)

Elizabeth may have been born to other parents, so not baptised as Humphreys, and her mother married/remarried after this.

She may have been baptised elsewhere (her mother's home village, perhaps), so looking at Prees baptisms won't help.

If this was my family I would be hunting for the deaths of the possible Humphreys parents in the hope that I could then find a will. I would also try to find possible siblings for the Elizabeth whose baptism you have, and try following them, trying to spot any clues. Have you actually been able to find any record of Thomas Humphreys shoemaker?

It might be worth contacting the Shropshire Family History Society if you're stuck: SFHS - Home Page

That's all I can think of at the moment.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi Scuda

Thank you for all the suggestions, I will have a look at all the possible options you have suggested.

I will have a look at contacting the Shropshire FHS.

I did find a Thomas Humphreys on the 41 census in Prees but his occuption is 'smith' rather than 'shoemaker'. I havnt ruled this guy out though because he was born 1781c which makes him a good chance to still be Elizabeth's father.

Many thanks for your help

Comment

You may find that the best bet is to order the Prees baptisms to view at your local LDS centre.

Latter Day Saints Family History Libraries - Family Tree Forum
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-07-09, 16:57.

Comment

Working...
            X