X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Mary

Gilchrist ... born 1856 Calton, Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    parents: Thomas and Mary

1861 - aged 5 living with parents Glasgow (listed as Mary)
    1871 - aged 15 living with parents and siblings Argyll (still known as Mary)
    1881 - not living with parents who are still living in Argyll

can anyone please locate her?
    do you think she married between 1871-1881?
    did she die between 1871-1881?
    did she leave Scotland to live elsewhere?

All help and advice appreciated
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Thre is a match on Scotland's People for an Elizabeth Gilchrist marrying a Robert Graham in the district of Campbletown in Argyll in 1887
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

I've checked SP for a marriage 1871 - 1881 under her proper name but no matches. There are 43 matches over 2 pages for just Mary in the whole of the country but narrowing it down to Argyll gives just 1 match. 1876 Mary Gilchrist to Peter Glen in Dunoon and Kilmun registration district.

Mary Glen nee Gilchrist died in 1920 aged 76 in Kilcalmonell registration district, Argyllshire.

See below for why that's not your Mary.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-07-09, 12:54. Reason: correction

Comment

Ancestry Scottish census is playing silly b***ers again!! There are results for my searches but when I click to see them all I get is a blank search box. It's sooo frustrating.

I'll try again for you later if no-one else had picked it up for you.
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-07-09, 12:25. Reason: typos

Comment

This looks like a possibility for your Mary. She is aged 20 in the 1881 census and was born in Glasgow. Which gives an estimated dob of 1861. That's not an exact match for your girl either as this time she's 5 years younger than expected - unless of course she lied about her age.

Dwelling: Stronchullin Farm
          Census Place: Dunoon & Kilmun, Argyll, Scotland
          Source: FHL Film 0203556 GRO Ref Volume 510 EnumDist 14 Page 2

John TURNER Head Shotts, Lanark, Scotland. Farmer of 1000 acres
          Mary TURNER Wife Kilmun, Argyll, Scotland
          George Dallas Baird TURNER Nephew Linlithgow, Linlithgow, Scotland. Scholar
          Mary GILCHRIST Servant Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland. General Servant (domestic)
          Catherine COX Servant Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland. Dairy maid
          John MC CULLOCH Servant Kilmichal, Argyll, Scotland. Farm servant
          Thomas CURRIE Servant. Kilmun, Argyll, Scotland. Farm servant
          Bernard GILLON Servant Dunoon, Argyll, Scotland. Farm servant

I've also tracked down the only Peter GLEN in Argyll on the 1881 census and his wife is indeed Mary but she is a different person. Her age is more of a match for the death cert entry I found and she came from Kilcalmonell too. Their eldest child is only 3 so that fits with the marriage entry.

I doubt these SP entries are not for you after all.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-07-09, 12:53. Reason: corrections

Comment

I see that in 1881 the matching couple for the 1861 couple have a granddaughter Mary aged just 2 years. Your missing Mary's child do you think?

I've just found 1871 entry - sorry for the confusion earlier - Mary is listed as Mare in the index, that's why I missed her.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-07-09, 13:16. Reason: update

Comment

I have found something rather odd but have a sneaky feeling it's connected to you somehow given that your Mary 1856's mother came from Paisley. Have a look at this on Scotland's People rather than the ancestry version here as things could well be clearer with relationships and ages on the original. I'm intrigued by someone's mother-in-law only being 22.

Thomas and Mary seem to have died between 1891 and 1901 censuses and their grand daughter who was still with them in 1891 looks to have fetched up in Paisley.

Source Citation: Parish: Paisley; ED: 93; Page: 29; Line: 20; Roll CSSCT1901_210; Year: 1901.
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 17-07-09, 13:33.

Comment

Hi Jeannet and Galloway Lass - thanks very much for joining the search

I've spent quite a bit of time (and money) on ScotlandsPeople this morning .. I also found marraige of Elizth Gilchrist to Robt Graham - her father was Archibald, so unfortunately no match there

It's not the Mary Gilchrist who married Peter Glen either - her father was James Gilchrist.

I wondered about Mary the servant ... only hesitation was yr of birth!

Granddaughter (of Thomas and Mary) Mary b1879 (I've got her BC) was the daughter of Catherine, Elizabeth Mary's sister ... I think I'll see what becomes of her too!

Just popping over to have a look at 1901 cenus as it sounds very intriguing ... hopefully catch up with you later

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  I'm intrigued by someone's mother-in-law only being 22.

Thomas and Mary seem to have died between 1891 and 1901 censuses and their grand daughter who was still with them in 1891 looks to have fetched up in Paisley.
                  Lol .... it's a transcription error Mary the mother-in-law was 72 ............. have found her death in 1904.

just had another look at Ancestry and it's Mary stepdau who's listed as 22 and M-i-L as 12 ... little wonder it's difficult to find people on there at times !!!
                  Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 17-07-09, 14:39.

Comment

Ah right! so the original Elizabeth Mary's mother goes to live with her daughter Kate and her husband in Glasgow after her own husband Thomas dies. Kate's daughter (also a Mary) who has been living with her grandparents goes too. I wonder where Kate was all that time when her daughter was living with the grandparents?

Thank goodness 1 thing I found has helped LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I wonder where Kate was all that time when her daughter was living with the grandparents?
                      Looks like I've got more searching to do ... perhaps I'll find Elizth Mary and Kate together ???

Thanks again G'lass for your help

L'lass

Comment

Working...
                      X