Jonathan William GARMENT Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathan William GARMENT Bible

Does anybody know of anyone researching the above?

I have a small bible that seems to have been in the family for years and I have no idea why.
    The back and front are loose but the spine is still in place.

In the front is
    Jonathan Garment (somebody has added William)
    Awarded for good behaviour attendance and lessons.
    From the Baptist Sabbath School
    ?eraburn Road ( the name might be wrong)
    St Albans
    June 23 1861.

I had a look on Ancestry and found him on the 1851 and 1861 census....he was born 1850/51.

If anybody recognises the name, they're welcome to have the bible as I can't find any connection at all .to my family..... it's a mystery how it ended up in Co Durham.
    Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Someone who is presumably a relative has Jonathan William Garment in the 'Humphries Robinson' Private Member Tree on Ancestry. You can contact them through Ancestry.

Besides the 1851 and 1861 census, Jonathan is also in the 1881 and the 1891 (as John) in Gorton, Lancashire, and in 1901 (as John) in South Manchester. He was with the Post Office.

Comment

Several people have him on their Genesreunited trees too.

Comment

Thanks both ..... I'll contact the Ancestry member but I'm afraid I'm not a member on GR now....

Jean

Richard are you a member? If you are, I wonder if you would be so kind as to contact a 'Robert Garment No 10146046' ..... I have contacted the Ancestry member hughar suggested but Robert Garment sounds a closer relative.
        Last edited by Jean and Tonic; 17-07-09, 14:11.

Comment

Hi Jean

I've sent a pm to Robert on GR and have included a link to this thread so hopefully he'll either contact you here or else reply to my GR message.

Cheers,
          Richard

Comment

Hi again Jean

Robert has contacted me already, I will pm you with his email address.

Cheers
            Richard

Comment

Oh and I think that I may have found out how the bible ended up in Co Durham! It seems that Jonathan's only surviving son was a Wilfred Ewart Garment, born 1883. From Googling, I found that there was a Rev. Wilfred Garment at the Fawcett Hill Chapel, Craghead, Co Durham in 1916 (http://www.cragheadinfo.co.uk/history.pdf). So maybe that was Jonathan's son, who left his father's little bible there?
              Last edited by Richard in Perth; 18-07-09, 05:19.

Comment

thankyou so much Richard ...... isn't that a nice story if it's correct.

I'll get onto this straight away

Jean

Comment

Working...
                X