Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are? 16th July is ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are? 16th July is ...

kylejustin

Well done i hope you get some brick walls knocked down.
    Jen

Well done dear get some of those walls knocked dow dear they are brilliant at there stuff
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

oh my god!! awesome. thank you, i will post up a few loose ends in a minute!!

edit-thanx borobabs.
      Last edited by kylejustin; 17-07-09, 11:32.

Comment

ok, first problem, i have mary mcdonald marrying archibald mcfarlane, possibly in 1823, kilvickeon, argyll, scotland.

they had: dugald- ch.1824, john- ch.1826 d.1840, ronald- ch.1828, archibald- ch.1831, christina-born 8 mar 1833, and archibald john- ch. 1836.

so, archibald snr died in 1836. the family lived on iona. i have mary, dugald, and the older archibald on the 1841 census. they are in iona. i may have found christina, there are two possibles.

the family emmigrated to victoria in 1852.

i cant find archibald john, or ronald on the 1841 census. can anyone find them?
        i also can't find the family in 1851.

Comment

Have you found them all either on a passenger list or in Australia in 1852, so we can be sure of the dates?

Comment

OK, found them, so they emigrated on the Marmion in December 1852.

Comment

yes sorry, about forgetting the date.

another one, if they prove elusive:

the matheson clan genealogist gave me a tree that says this man is a son of dugald matheson and beatrix mckenzie. i have no information on his birth date.

john matheson, d.1904. no clue where in scotland. married sarah mckay on 6th dec 1866, at strath, inverness. (am i right in thinking his marriage would name both parents?)
              they're kids were: dugald john- b.16 nov 1867, caroline linstead-b.5 nov 1872, rebecca ann-b.?, and donald mckay- b.11 aug 1870.

i would love it if someone could find them in the census, i havnt got access to ancestry yet, so i will check out the refs if anyone can find them, soon.

Comment

I've just had a quick look on the Scottish 1841 and 1851 censuses and the English 1851, but I can't see any obvious candidates.

I wondered if the missing children might have been with Mary's parents and wrongly transcribed as Mcdonald - unfortunately there are dozens of Ronald McDonalds. What a pain that Ancestry doesn't have the images!

Comment

1881 Scottish census:

John Matheson, 42, born Lochcarron G, Ross Shire, merchant
                  Sarah Matheson, 38, wife, born England, house keeper
                  Dugald J Matheson, 13, born Strath, Inverness Shire, scholar
                  Caroline L Matheson, 8, born Strath, Inverness Shire, scholar
                  Rebecca A Matheson, 7, born Strath, Inverness Shire, scholar

All living at Kyleakin, Invernessshire.

(Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright)

Comment

ooh, thanx mary. john's born loch carron, that's a good sign!!

Comment

1891:

John Matheson, 78, born Lochrutton, Ross Shire, fish-curer
                      Sarah Matheson, 48, born England
                      Dongald Matheson, 23, born Strath, Inverness Shire, fish-curer
                      Caroline Lustine Matheson, 18, born Strath, Inverness Shire [no occupation listed]

Living at Along Quay, Inverness.

Comment

at least they are consistent with their ages!! not too sure what the transcriber's where thinking when john was given age 78.

mary mcdonald was the daughter of ronald mcdonald, yer yer i know, funny. and christina shaw, as per her death cert. i have no clue about archibald's. i did look for mary's parents in 1841, but both seem to have died prior.

Comment

1871:

John Matheson, 50, born Applecross, Rosshire, merchant
                          Sarah Matheson, 28, born England, merchant's wife
                          Dugald John Matheson, 3, born Strath, Inverness Shire
                          Donald McKay Matheson, 7 Mo, born Strath, Inverness Shire
                          Margaret McPhee, 17, born Strath, Inverness Shire, domestic servant

Living at no. 23 [no address given], Strath, Invernessshire

Comment

Can't see an obvious birth or death for Rebecca on Scotlandspeople, or a death for Duncan.

Comment

the igi has a birth for rebecca on 7 feb 1874, at strath. all the kids are there, and they are extracted records. cant believe i forgot to check the igi.
                              who did you mean for duncan?
                              by the way, thank you for helping mary.

Comment

1901:

John Mathison, 84, born Ross-shire, retired merchant
                                Sarah Mathison, 58, born England
                                Dugald J Mathison, 33, born Strath, Inverness Shire, watch maker

Living at Pier Road, Strath, Inverness.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  the igi has a birth for rebecca on 7 feb 1874, at strath. all the kids are there, and they are extracted records. cant believe i forgot to check the igi.
                                  So did I

who did you mean for duncan?

Sorry, I meant Donald, who vanishes after 1871.

Comment

ah, right. the igi says caroline married in new york in 1896. very interesting.
                                    are we thinking emmigration for rebecca?

Comment

There is a hit on SP for a Rebecca Matheson born in Strath in 1874. I missed it before becaucse I put Inverness as the birthplace.

Comment

Could be that Rebecca emigrated, but who with? I can't see an obvious death for her on SP, but there are some marriages for Rebecca Matheson,

Comment

Working...
                                        X