Latin probate date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin probate date

Would someone translate this probate date for me please?

LatinProbateDate.jpg

Thanks, scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

I can't remember who it is, bit there's at least one proper Latin Scholar on the Forum. I did very well at 'O' level - but that was over 40 years ago, and subsequent Latin has generally been confined to singing!

I think it says something like:
    ...constituto decimo octavo Die Quendis
    ???ij Anno Domini millisimo septingentisimo vicesimo octavo
    ?????ento Marice...
    If I manage to work out where that's adrift, I'll come back and amend it.
    I reckon that it might mean
    The day is 18th
    the month is ????maybe March
    the year is 17#8.

Christine

PS - If you can work out the script, then there is a Latin-help section in the Wiki.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It looks like 18th June (?) 1728 (decimo octavo die mensis Juniij (?)
      Anno Domini millesimo septingentesimo vicesimo octavo).

I'm not very good with this old script, so perhaps Roger or Phoenix can confirm.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 16-07-09, 18:05.

Comment

Yes, I have trouble with the old script, too, it's bad enough when it's written in English, but the Latin is just too much. The will was written in March 1721, so 1728 is realistic for probate. I'd be glad of confirmation from someone else, though, please.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Mary's month - June - makes much more sense than my March.

I'd forgotten what 20 would be.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My tentative reading of the Latin is as follows:

......................................testamentum apud London
            coram venerabili et egregio viro Johann? ???worth ????
            ???? curiae praerogativae Cantuariensis magistro custod?
            ??? commissario legitim? constituto decimo octavo die *mensis
            Junii anno domini millesimo setingensimo vicesimo octavo
            ???ento *Mariae Spitman viduae ??? ??? ??? ???
            exoruturis indicto testamento nominatae ?? reminissa/remmissa fuit

(I have taken the symbol I have designated with an asterisk to mean "this" but it may merely be a flourish on the M)

My very tentative translation is:

.................... will in London
            in the presence of the revered and outstanding man John ???worth
            master and guardian of the prerogative court of Canterbury
            ???? at the legally assembled meeting on the 18th day of this month
            of June in the year of our Lord 1728
            ??? to/of this Mary Spitman widow ??? ??? ??? ???
            ??? named in the aforementioned will has been duly assigned (something feminine)

As others have noted, the script is a problem. If anyone can improve my transliteration it may be easier to get a more accurate translation.

Peter

Comment

Thanks so much for that, Peter. So Christine and Mary were correct with the date, which was my main concern. I could read the widow's name, but only because I knew she was Mary Pitman - your reading of it as Spitman shows just how difficult the script can be to sort out. I'm not too worried about translating the rest - there doesn't seem to be any critical information tucked away in there.

Thanks Christine and Mary for your help, too.

scuda

Comment

I can be confident that "exoruturis" should read "executuris".

The letter that looks a bit like o or theta, is e
                Similarly the one that looks like r is c.

I'd say that "???ento" is "Juramento"

Christine

Comment

The letter that looks a bit like o or theta, is e
                  Similarly the one that looks like r is c.
                  Oh yes, Christine, you're right. I remember struggling with those when I was trying to decipher a will of a similar age to this. I worked it out eventually, because it was in English, and eventually the penny dropped, but it can be very confusing.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                  X