Original Marriage Cert. question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Marriage Cert. question

I have my MIL's original marriage certificate but the registrar has signed their names in at the bottom.

I thought that would have been them and in their handwriting...am I wrong?

Thanks

Linda

Are you sure it is the one they got at the church/register office? Might they have got a replacement copy at a later date?

On the other hand if they just 'made their mark' the registrar/vicar would write ther names and say 'the mark of ...'

Anne

Comment

Did they marry in church or Registry Office? Either way, they would have signed the register and then the Registrar or Vicar would have written out a copy of that entry onto a certificate which he then gave them.

If you sent off for a copy from the local RO, you might actually get their original signatures!

OC

Comment

Hmmmm .... interesting! I was about to concede I was wrong but have found a couple of certificates.

1. In 1945 - my parents in law. The whole certificate is written out by one person- the same writing as the Vicar.

2. In 1969 - my own certificate. The main part is written by the vicar and them all four signatures are as written by the individuals bride, groom, and two witnesses. (I even remember making the mistake with my middle name!)

So six of one and half a dozen of the other!:D:D

Anne

Comment

Perhaps the original was sent to the records office?

Comment

James

Certificates don't get sent anywhere, it's the registration books which get sent, or sheets of copies.

I agree, six of one, half a dozen of the other - seemed to depend on the whim of who completed the CERTIFICATE as to whether the bride and groom signed it, or whether the clerk did. Regardless of what the rule was SUPPOSED to be!

OC

Comment

I have my original marriage certificate, which we both signed in front of the minister, but if I got a copy from the BDM (in NSW), then if someone filled it in by hand (in the old days, now its a computer printout) then they would have signed it.

When I wanted to get my passport though, I needed a registered copy of the certificate, which meant I had to get one from the BDM Registrar, our church certificate would not do.

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I don't think there is a general rule.

My gg grandmother's first marriage in 1891 is written out by someone who also wrote all the names on, however, her second marriage in 1926 has the people's signatures on.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

My Parents Certicate (1921) is writen in the same hand all the way through and signed over a One Penny Stamp.

Comment

Thanks for all your comments.

Yes it is the original 1965 and all in the registrar's handwriting. Seems there's not an absolute rule that's followed

Linda

Comment

Working...
                    X