Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Researching seamen in the Merchant Service??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching seamen in the Merchant Service??

I have a father and son, both called Alexander Mackenzie of Ullapool, who were both merchant seamen - time span being c1825 - c1881. The son worked out of Macduff in Banff.

Has anyone any idea where to start researching their stories??
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Have you looked in the Wiki?

I'm pretty certain that there's a TNA guide on the topic - I just can't find the link at the moment.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Here's the Wiki link:
      Maritime - Family Tree Forum

I reckon you should find something helpful there.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Nothing to do with merchant seaman but there is a good website that deals with family history of the area... for Ullapool it will be "Notes on Ullapool " and includes the MacKenzie families of Ullapool

Comment

Christine & Colin - thanks very much!! Both look very helpful.
          Kind regards,
          William
          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
          X