Searching for Beezley ancestor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Beezley ancestor

Hi there. Can anyone help me trace the details of parents for Benjamin Beezley, b. 22 Sept 1880 in Widmore Kent. I have found a christening record naming them as Thomas and Elizabeth. Am stuck! No very little about this family. Don't know where to look next.

Thanks
    Annette
    oakes63 passed away in September 2021

Originally posted by oakes63 View Post
    Hi there. Can anyone help me trace the details of parents for Benjamin Beezley, b. 22 Sept 1880 in Widmore Kent. I have found a christening record naming them as Thomas and Elizabeth. Am stuck! No very little about this family. Don't know where to look next.

Thanks
    Annette
    Have you seen them on any census at all?
    Margaret

Comment

I had a quick search of the censuses on Ancestry: I didn't find any of the family there.

Comment

where did you find the christening record - cant see it on the IGI

Where is Widmore? near where? Bromley ?

Cant see his birth on FreeBMD either.
        Last edited by Jessbowbag; 16-07-09, 08:43.
        Jess

Comment

I can't find them on census. There is a pedigree file on IGI submitted by a lady in Victoria Australia for Benjamin Beazley c 1880 no place of birth etc married elizabeth ada Johns.
          Last edited by jean; 16-07-09, 09:50.
          Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Sorry all....that's what you get for typing without your glasses! It's 1800 not 1880. I assume Widmore is near Bromley as he married a Charlotte Isard from there. They moved to Australia in the 1850's.

Jean.. I will check the other Benjamin as he may be a relative. I believe they settled in Victoria.

Have lots on the Isards but the Beezleys remain a real mystery.

Thanks, Annette

Comment

I think I've found him in 1851 census.

Bromley, Kent, England

5 Taidey Place (I think, the writing is a little hard to read)

Benjamin Bazeley, head. 50. market gardener. born Bromley, Kent
              Charlotte Bazeley, wife. 47
              Thomas Bazeley, son. 11. scholar taught at home.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1606; Folio: 61; Page: 17; GSU roll: 193505.

Comment

I may have them in the 1841 census too. The name is "Bengan" but I've looked at the writing and it may very well be a shortened form of Benjamin instead. The ages of him and his wife are about right, as well, as is Thomas', but the occupation is different

Marketplace, Bromley

Bengan Bazeley. 40. baker. born in Kent
                Charlotte Bazeley. 37. born in Kent
                Anne Bazeley. 10. born in Kent
                Emma Bazeley. 5. born in Kent
                Sarah Bazeley. 3. born in Kent
                Thomas Bazeley. 1. born in Kent.
                Robert Sale. 18. baker. born in Kent

Comment

!840 Pigots Directory for Bromley shows a Benjamin Beezley as a baker.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 16-07-09, 11:59.

Comment

I found a Benjamin Beazley as a submitted entry on the IGI. It just has him as having been born 1801 in Kent and having married Charlotte about 1830, England.

Comment

That sounds right. He was a gardener in Australia and the Isards had a butcher and bakery in the Bromley Market place! Were there any other children with them in 1851? I know all but one son emigrated in 1852.
                      Thanks Annette

Comment

You mentioned the Isards. I found a couple of Isard households, with Sarah Beezley as a servant in one of them.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1606; Folio: 34; Page: 2; GSU roll: 193505.

Marketplace, Bromley

Edward Isard, head. 29. farmer (of 42 acres and employing 2 labourers), and master butcher. born Bromley, Kent
                        Ellen Isard. cousin. U. 48. born Chislehurst, Kent.
                        Hellen Allen. housekeeper. U. 38. housekeeper.
                        Anne Roberts. servant. U. 19. house servant.

Next household:

Edward Isard. head. U. 23. malter and tallow chandler (employing five men). Born Bromley, Kent.
                        William Isard. cousin. U. 30. foreman. Born Bromley, Kent
                        James Cassington. servant. U. 18. apprentice.
                        George Towell. servant. U. 21. Odd Man
                        Edward Walls. servant. U. 17. Porter
                        Mary Clarke. servant. U. 54. housekeeper
                        Sarah Beezley. servant. U. 13. house servant. born Bromley, Kent

I haven't found the other children as yet.

Comment

This could be Ann. She was a servant in St Paul, Deptford.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1584; Folio: 678; Page: 20; GSU roll: 174820-174821.

Edward Wells. head. Mar. 42. timber merchant.
                          Amy Wells. wife. 34.
                          Charlotte Edgerton. visitor. U. 24.
                          Ann Beezly. servant. U. 20. Born Bromley, Kent

Comment

Just did a search of the 1841 census for name Beezley and found several Beezleys. They lived in Islington. Is that too much of a suggestion for the early 1800's to have families shift like that? Could they be related? Not being in England, have not a lot of concept for distances between places. Maybe I have the wrong names for his parents? However, his christening record is in Bromley and it does say Elizabeth and Thomas. Can only assume they died. Appreciate the help guys.
                            Annette

Comment

Thanks Tanyal. Edward was Charlotte's brother I believe so that would fit. Emma is my direct ancester. I will check the records I have for the other Isards and see if she is there. Thanks for the tip.
                              Annette

Comment

I might have found Emma as well, in Maidstone, Kent. The name is Bayley, but it could be her.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1606; Folio: 262; Page: 5; GSU roll: 193505.

Thomas Morgan. head. Mar. 63. Farmer and occupier of land
                                Elizabeth Morgan. wife. 59.
                                Emma Bayley. servant. U. 15. born Bromley, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by oakes63 View Post
                                  Thanks Tanyal. Edward was Charlotte's brother I believe so that would fit. Emma is my direct ancester. I will check the records I have for the other Isards and see if she is there. Thanks for the tip.
                                  Annette
                                  No problem.

Comment

Working...
                                  X