Death cert within the last 50 years ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death cert within the last 50 years ?

I tried to order a death cert on the GRO for a child who died in 1963 but as I dont know all the details it wont let me order it is there any way of getting it ??

If you know where the child died then ask the local registrars. If you dont then it may be difficult without an area.

Comment

Thanks I know all except the actual date do know the year but on the GRO it says you must answer all the boxes with a red asterick by them and thats one of them .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        Thanks I know all except the actual date do know the year but on the GRO it says you must answer all the boxes with a red asterick by them and thats one of them .
        Sounds like you've got enough to ask the local register office and this can't be done online. You'll need to phone/fax/email or write.
        Margaret

Comment

thanks Margaret thought it might be to do with the fact its less than 50 years ago he died ?? will try tomorrow

Comment

I've got certs for adults who died within the last 50 years with no trouble.

I've just had a search on the GRO site by trial and error, because I couldn't find an explanation.

It seems to require all those extra details like date of death where the person who died was 16 or under.

Comment

hi Mary yes he was 9 maybe thats why ?

Comment

I THINK this is because people who forge passports, claim benefits in lots of names, etc, go round graveyards looking for a deceased child, get their birth cert and establish a false identity.

It is cheaper for the GRO to insist on exact dates and relationships to the deceased, etc, than cross-referencing births and deaths, which would be the obvious solution to ME!

OC

Comment

so if I ring them tomorrow will I get one ???

Comment

I don't think you'll get one from the GRO, but the local RO might issue it.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        I tried to order a death cert on the GRO for a child who died in 1963 but as I dont know all the details it wont let me order it is there any way of getting it ??
                        I assume you are trying to order online.

Write to them giving the details you know and the cert will be supplied.
                        It is illegal for them to refuse.
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          I THINK this is because people who forge passports, claim benefits in lots of names, etc, go round graveyards looking for a deceased child, get their birth cert and establish a false identity.

OC
                          No that is simply an excuse.

The GRO have no choice in the matter they have a legal obligation to supply any birth marriage or death certificate to anyone in the world for whatever purpose that person wishes to use it, the relevant law Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1953 states-

"30.-(1) The Registrar General shall cause indexes of all certified copies of entries in registers sent to him under this Act or under any enactment repealed by this Act to be made and kept in the General Register Office.
                          (2) Any person shall be entitled to search the said indexes at any time when the General Register Office is open for that purpose, and to have a certified copy of any entry in the said certified copies, on payment to the Registrar General or to such other person on his behalf of the following fees respectively, that is to say-..."

There is no choice in the matter.
                          If they refuse to supply the certificate they are committing an offence and are open to prosecution.
                          Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

thanks Guy will do

Comment

ordered it thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X