Copy & Paste problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy & Paste problem

I've recently changed computer from xp to vista and been trying to copy and paste some items from my town history site onto Word. Every time I do this, even if its two lines, a box pops saying what I'm doing is too large and to reduce it. I've not a clue how to do this and being a different computer things are in different places, icons all look different etc. Been driving me mad trying to sort it out.
    Anyone know what I should do ?

Have you had a look in Help?

Comment

Marylou I have vista and James is right. Go in help and support and in search box put 'adjust text' will show you how.
      Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

I'll do that Jen and James -thanks. I had looked in Help but nothing showed on the list and I didn't know what to put in as a search. I'll have a go anyway.

Comment

Paste? or Copy?

Comment

I'm trying to copy and paste something of a website - highlight the piece I want then paste onto Word.
            Just tried it again adjusting it to the smallest font and even with five words it still says its too big :o Altering the margins makes no difference either.
            Oh -its Works Word if that makes a difference.
            Never had this problem with my old computer so can't understant it at all.
            I can Print Preview the article and that shows up fine and fits on the page but I don't want to print it out with all the other bits on the page (images, extra wording and so on)
            I just want the bit I select.
            Thanks for your help anyway.

Comment

Mary have you tried - highlight the section that you want to print - click file - print - then click the option for 'selection' only. It should work.

Oops thats ok if you're happy just to print it
              Last edited by Kath nr the Crooked Spire; 16-07-09, 06:25. Reason: added a bit
              Kathleen

Comment

Mary, I use Word but it is in the Student version which is well worth the extra. Often on offer at Amason or PCW.
                Try this with my reply to you. First Open Word and then use the minus icon by the red cross to drop it down to the task bar. Click on the text to highlight it go to edit and copy - click on Word that is now open on the task bar and then paste the message. You can flick backwards and forwards like that addding to the page all the time.
                OR
                If it is from the web Highlight it and go to file and SAVE AS and Documents should open.
                Don't forget Vista has all sorts of odd security things built into it and maybe this is to stop people copying too much information (even if it is your own). My friend cannot Copy and Paste his HotMail with his version of Vista.
                I do still have some other idea's but must go to bed now after a long day. It maybe the settings that need adjusting will try and take look if you have not sorted it tomorrow night.
                Last edited by Margaret N; 16-07-09, 20:48.
                Margaret N
                DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Margaret - not quite sure what you mean - the only cross at the top on my toolbar is the one that switches it off and the only sign that looks like a minus is the one that reduces it and if I click that I lose it -seems to shrink to nothing !
                  Tried highlighting your reply and saving to documents but nothing like 'save as' came up so couldn't do that.

I typed a sentence very small on Word page -copied that, got new page and pasted that ok so it must be something that just stops me copying from the web. Blessed nuisance it is. I can go to print preview and it looks perfect but can't copy/paste from there.
                  Excuse me being a bit of a numpty but never had this problem before.

Comment

Mary, I was almost asleep last night with I posted my message however not much has changed.
                    If you click on the minus sign that is fine it will drop down to the task bar while you copy my reply to you. SELECT MY MESSAGE (highlight) then use your mouse or go to EDIT and remember to .
                    Now leaving this page open go to the task bar and click on the WORD DOC that is blank and it will come up as a normal size.
                    Click on it and 'PASTE' maybe using your mouse and the drop down menu or from the normal icon.
                    Before you start click on Tools, go to the bottom - Internet Options, Advanced and in the top section you have five items I have go the 2nd 4th and 5th ones checked. That may help for saving web pages.
                    Have you got ONE NOTE? this is the old Word or Note Pad. If you have anything on the web (their maybe a size limit that I do not know) is useful as you can use your mouse and it will show One Note if not it will be under tools. All you do is click on the article and send to One Note. The page will be open when you close the net and it is a word doc of sorts to copy and paste (if I dare say those words).
                    Last edited by Margaret N; 16-07-09, 21:09.
                    Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I'm all of a muddle.................if I click onto the minus sign my internet page disappears
                      I highlighted your reply and clickedf 'copy', clicked minut sign then my page disappeared, went to Word and 'edit' -couldn't find anything that said 'select message' just 'select all' -tried that and it was the 'too big box' again.
                      Now I'm getting in confused stated over what a task bar is -what a numpty I am..........lol
                      Thanks for bearing with me
                      Its Microsoft Office Home and Student I've got

Ignore all that Margaret..................I had a little play about and if I highlight the piece I want from internet. got to 'Edit', then to 'Paste Special' then to 'Unformatted text' it puts it on !!

Seems to be taking me ages to get to grips with new computer............thanks for all your help.
                      Last edited by marylou; 17-07-09, 12:45.

Comment

Mary, Sorry if I have not explained it very well, I know what I am doing but not so easy when putting it into words.
                        Sounds as if you are getting there. I was going to tell you about the paste special but you have beaten me to it.
                        I now like Vista and have found that you have to follow the exact format it is not keen on one taking a shortcut. I notice you have Home and Student in which case you will have One Note do try what I said especially if from the web. Not sure why but I thought you had MS Works.
                        I have now used three different PC's with it on and they are all different just the way they have been set at the factory. Send a pm if you need any other help.
                        Last edited by Margaret N; 17-07-09, 21:11.
                        Margaret N

Comment

Thanks Margaret and thanks a lot for your help. Will pm you if I get stuck again

Comment

Did it work Mary as I have the same problem with VISTA and pasting to word. In fact in the end I gave up and downloaded Open Office which I can paste to.

Comment

Working...
                            X