Unusual first name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual first name

Has anyone come across the name Sobieski or Sobriski as a first name for a woman?
    I have just gone back a generation with my maternal line and found a Thomas Harper marrying Sobriski or Sobieski De Coetlogon in 1762 and I know she is of French origin but have been puzzled by her first name as it sounds more Polish or Russian than French.
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.
    Margaret

Margaret.

Put Sobieski de Coetlogon into Google Books. Don't use " ". Just the words.

You might be able to work out something, but it's obviously a name.

Comment

There was a Polish-Lithuanian monarch called John III Sobieski who married Marie Casimire Louise de la Grange d'Arquien (1641-1716), of Nevers, Burgundy, France.
      See: John III Sobieski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Googling Coetlogon and Sobieski (also Coetlogon and Sobieska) brings up some trees that feature both surnames, although I can't tell whether there is any connection between them.
      Last edited by Cloggie; 15-07-09, 10:28.
      Sarah

Comment

Could Sobieski-de Coëtlogon be a double-barrelled surname rather than forename and surname?
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
          Could Sobieski-de Coëtlogon be a double-barrelled surname rather than forename and surname?
          Thanks for the other info I will have a dig around.

I don't think so from the parish record of their marriage it seems Sobieski was her first name, that appears on the christening records I found for two of their children - not including my ancestor as bad luck would have it :(

Margaret

Comment

sobieski is a surname as mentioned above, maybe it was a family name used as a given name? leelee sobieski is a descendant of that polish king.
            Leelee Sobieski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              sobieski is a surname as mentioned above, maybe it was a family name used as a given name? leelee sobieski is a descendant of that polish king.
              Leelee Sobieski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Thanks for this.
              I had come to the same conclusion because I could only find surnames the same, but I have now seen on the OneWorldTree there are several women with Sobieski as their given name.
              I have contacted one or two tree owners to see what they know.
              Margaret

Comment

i hope you find something good. i hate it when you get something good, and get further with it!!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  i hope you find something good. i hate it when you get something good, and get further with it!!
                  On it's own this piece of information is very good because I knew my family was connected to the De Coetlogon family and for ages could not find the woman who connected us so I'm a step forward but I would very much like to prove my 4xgreat grandfather Thomas Harper b1763 is the child of these two so that's my quest just now!
                  Margaret

Comment

i wish you luck!!

Comment

I'm quite late to this thread, but someone might be interested in this blog:

The author says:

"In the 1700s prominent Jacobite families chose to show their allegiance by christening their children with Jacobite names. The marriage of Maria Clementina Sobieska, granddaughter of King John III Sobieski of Poland, to James Francis Edward Stuart, Jacobite claimant to the throne, influenced many, and both Clementina and Sobieski/Sobiesky were popular choices for girls at that time."

I came across this while researching a "Sobiaskea" in my own family. Looking at Free BMD (so post-1837) there are a few examples often spelled differently, indeed one person has a first name of Sobey and a middle name of Askey - but there's some kind of survival there. A surprising number of them are (like my relative) in the English Black Country (typically registered in Stourbridge/Dudley/Walsall).

Not sure where the French connection comes in, though no doubt there will have been Jacobite sympathies in France.​

Comment

Working...
                      X