X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookwood Cemetery - new info online.

The Independant part of the cemetery is now online:

Rookwood Independent Cemetery Mapping

I've also searched the anglican and general cemetery and they are not yet online but do have a link for it saying it is happening soon.

The catholic section is also online but has been for quite some time.
    Kit

Thanks for that, Kit. That's great news

My great-grandmother's brother is buried in Rookwood. When OH and I were in Sydney 2 and a half years ago we got his death certificate - it told us he was buried there. We never got out to Rookwood to see the grave as we didn't have time.

His story was very tragic. He went out to Australia from Portsmouth. On his death certificate it says he was a gold miner. It is said he had problems with a woman. Anyhow, he attempted to blow his brains out with his own gun. He died in St Vincent's Hospital. We even found the house where he was living - he died in January 1901 so we were quite surprised!

His name was Fred Wood Quintrell and we have a photo of his grave which was sent home to his family in England. The records the cemetery had gave his name as "Gaintrell" - I assume the gravestone has deteriorated.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 15-07-09, 07:10.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The independant cemetery records are quite basic - religion, section and grave number, name and date of interment. It is also supposed to show a map of the grave location although it's not working for me. So if you have the death cert you will have more details than the grave. But if they were buried near another relative that will show up if you search by surname only.
      Kit

Comment

Thanks Kit. I have several ancestors buried there late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Just found one g-g-grandmother but then realised the others were buried in the Anglican section.

Comment

I know. I was looking for the anglican part and then wondered if the independant section had anything. They are more efficient than the anglican section.

If I find anything I'll let you know.
          Kit

Comment

Working...
          X