Question re Wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re Wills

If someone dies and leaves a will is there any public recording of it anywhere?

I've tried the Times and Gazettes Online but no luck although the names are reasonably common.

I have recently met a new contact for an elusive part of the family and am trying to verify the information he has given me. Not that I doubt him but I just like to see things for myself.

Anna Sampson (nee Story) died in 1871 :
    Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
    Deaths Mar 1872
    SAMPSON Anna 85 Marylebone 1a 353

The executor was her son-in-law John Scott. I know nothing on John except he married Mary Georgina Sampson (aka Georgiana) in 1836. I found the notice in The Hull Packet (Hull, England), Friday, April 1, 1836.

My contact says the Scotts went to Australia and John returned and was living on the Isle of Wight when Anna died. I'm not clear if Georgina returned as well. But, of course, I can not find anything to verify his information. I swear this family paid people to erase their names from records!!

Any ideas??
    Kit

Kit, you need to search the National Probate Calendar which I think covers wills proved from 1858 to the present day. Often available in the local archives and sometimes in big libraries.

There is lots of info in the WIKI, just search wills and if you find an entry of interest it explains how and where you can apply for a copy.

Hope this helps
    Helen in Glos

Comment

Thanks Helen. I think you have to apply in person which I can't do.

One of my OHs rellies was a lawyer and appeared in the Times a lot as executor of wills. As I know this lady had a will and executor I thought it should appear somewhere.
      Kit

Comment

Hi Kit

As a rough rule - i think that notices were placed in the Times regarding wills so that if anybody had a claim against it (e.g. a trades person) then they could let the solicitior know.

You can write to the probate office in York for a will and they will search for 5 years from the death - but you do need to know when the person died (year will sometimes do) but if it is a popular name probably a more fixed date and where as well.

Pubications - guidance - probate

Have you done a search on the National Archives site as sometimes you can strike lucky there as well.
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Kit - I have found it and pmd you.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I tried the TNA site but it says that wills after 1858 are only available on microfiche, can't remember where off the top of my head.

Thanks Bo. That is a good website.
            Kit

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth.

It's all sorted now. Thanks everyone.
              Kit

Comment

Working...
              X