Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem on Ancestry for me

Hi Folks
    Any idea how I can see the original birth indexs and not the transcribed ones.
    Previously on Ancestry I have always been able to do it and I just cant find a way of doing it now.
    Thanks in advance

Tony

Hi Tony Welcome to FTF

They no longer have an index for births. Supposedly they are all now transcribed.
    Quote from Ancestry:

"We’re working to make it easier to find your ancestors in our Birth, Marriage & Death Index record collection. If you’re searching for births or marriages, there’s no more having to trawl through individual index pages yourself – when you carry out a search, you’ll get individual results based on your ancestor’s name. We’re still working on our Death Indexes, but we’ll let you know when we’re finished."

Hope that helps.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

You can still view the original index pages for events pre-1984. Simply search for your name on Births 1837 – 1915 (transcribed by FreeBMD) if before 1916 and on Births 1916 – 2005 (transcribed) for events from 1916 onwards. You can optionally narrow your search by year and quarter. Once you have your results, click on the icon in the far right column ("view image") to see the original page.

If your name doesn't come up on your search (e.g. if you think that it might have been mistranscribed) then try searching on just the surname, or on the first three letters of the surname followed by the wildcard. If still no joy then enter a surname that is close alphabetically to the one you are looking for - e.g. SALTER if you're searching for SAMSON, etc. Once you have that image displayed, you can scroll through the index page by page using the "Prev" and "Next" arrows located just above the image until you get to the one you need.

Comment

You can also browse the images by scrolling down below the search form, selecting a year, then selecting a quarter and then selecting a letter.
        Sarah

Comment

thanks

Wow.... thanks so much everyone for getting back to me about my Ancestry problem, I appreciate all te replies as they are really helpful, thank you again.

I will check it out tonight and see how I get on trying to do my obscure searches.

I did like the old system though just as much as the new one, the newer system works very well if all things are not perfect.

At least my wife gets to see the tv remote control if I am beavering away.

Tony
          Last edited by tglyn; 15-07-09, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
            You can also browse the images by scrolling down below the search form, selecting a year, then selecting a quarter and then selecting a letter.
            Thanks for that Sarah I had not scrolled down far enough to find those indexes. I thought they had got rid of them. Phew that's a relief It's a bit long winded that way though. Still better than nothing when you really can't find someone.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
            X