X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause of Death Illness ??

On the United Kingdom and Ireland obituary collection
    this tickled me
    Mary William 5/1/2009 cause of death Illness ??

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    On the United Kingdom and Ireland obituary collection
    this tickled me
    Mary William 5/1/2009 cause of death Illness ??
    PMSL Val !! :D:D Nice one !

Comment

One of the certs I have gives the casue of death as "Old age and various diseases" LOL :D

another one (an 1840s one) doesn't give any cause of death at all. It is just left blank.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I have seen a couple that say worn out of old age ?????????? a blank isnt good is it ??? wonder why ?

Comment

I had one that said visitation of God.

Comment

Until 1875 it wasn't necessary to supply a cause of death, and even when it was supplied, it was very often just a best guess.

(Can you imagine the conversation:

Registrar: So, what do you think he died of then?

John Clod: I dunno! 'E juss dropped down ded.

Registrar: Ah. I'll put Rising of the Lights, then.)

OC

Comment

lol OC

Comment

:D OC :D
                Visitation of God seems to have been a popular cause in the 1800's, I've a few like that, seems to me to be kinder than 'Senile Wear and Exhaustion' and 'Senile Dementia' on some of the other certificates I have.
                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

One of mine died of "senile decay". He was 51...

Comment

most of mine just say old age. well most of the aussie ones anyway, but those ones are usually in their 80's or 90's at death.

i actually find english deaths more informative than the births or marriages for people. i have heard of quite a few that say something about god's will, but i havn't encountered any yet!! so far i havn't encountered any "funny" deaths, but i do remember an aunt died in 1904, she was only 6, and the cause was, "smothered by oats". poor little mite. i cant imagine how it happened.

Comment

Maybe she fell in a silo. Horrible way to go from what I've seen on t.v. shows.
                      Kit

Comment

I saw one on BBC teletext this morning. Man from London in a wheelie bin in Brighton. Bin was emptied and he was crushed to death in the dustcart. Found at the tip an hour before he was reported missing.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

"Visitation of God" is usually a Stroke, where it gets it's name from "Stroked by the hand of God"

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            most of mine just say old age. well most of the aussie ones anyway, but those ones are usually in their 80's or 90's at death.

i actually find english deaths more informative than the births or marriages for people. i have heard of quite a few that say something about god's will, but i havn't encountered any yet!! so far i havn't encountered any "funny" deaths, but i do remember an aunt died in 1904, she was only 6, and the cause was, "smothered by oats". poor little mite. i cant imagine how it happened.
                            Do you think "oats" might be "cats"?

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I,m really sorry but I cant help it, you will have to strike me off, but I'm sure it was a cereal killing..... I am so sorry!

Comment

christine- ?
                                southwick, tsk tsk. i guess it is funny, but i shouldn't be laughing.
                                kit- i had thought of that too. either that or she was helping the family cart bags to somewhere and dropped it on herself, or a stack of them fell on her.
                                there is an inquest report in the indexes, but i dont know how id order it. it was in vic too, not england.

Comment

Not in my tree (I'm actually quite sorry really)

"Smothered in a cart load of feathers" (an adult woman)

"Drank boiling water from a kettle" (adult man)

"Fell into a ditch and refused to get out" (adult man)

OC

Comment

Almost in the same vein - One of my ancestors committed suicide by drowning and the place of death on the certificate is recorded as "Water Butt at 15 Rose Street" which I'm ashamed to say always raises a giggle:o
                                    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      Not in my tree (I'm actually quite sorry really)

"Smothered in a cart load of feathers" (an adult woman)

"Drank boiling water from a kettle" (adult man)

"Fell into a ditch and refused to get out" (adult man)

OC
                                      a makes me go
                                      b makes me think
                                      c makes me :D :D
                                      but then i feel :o

Comment

LOL Sue I am giggling

Comment

Working...
                                        X