American wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American wills

Is there a central place in New York where I can apply for a will (or see if one was written) for a George Clement Moxon who died on 3 November 1932 - my gt gt uncle elder brother of the illusive Dora - who also took up residence in the USA.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Extremely difficult to obtain any documents in New York State! I went looking for wills in Albany New York which is the state capital for New York State and on entering the office where the records were kept I was shown a basement room with the room about 15 feet high piled high with books containing details of wills. There was a rough system of books in alphabetical order but I had to climb the ladder available to reach all the heavy tomes down from the various shelves!:( It was a baptism of fire as to how Americans organise their records!! Luckily my OH was with me and he climbed the ladders whilst I looked through the books!! We spent three hours down there and not a soul came to see what we were doing and nor was anyone else doing any research! At one point I thought that we were locked in for the night!

We did find one very interesting document relating to my family but the tantalising part was that there was some sort of claim pending on the will as a note was written in the margin which seemed to suggest the person died through negligence on the part of the company he was working for and a compensation claim was being fought, and this was back in 1895! When I asked about this I was told that the information was there somewhere but they had no system for finding it! When was I looking for all this information? Not 1985 but 2005!

Don't be fooled into thinking that everything American is ultra modern. :(Their family history records are in the dark ages!

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 14-07-09, 21:36.

Comment

I've just been in the USA on holiday - first ever visit. We got quite a surprise in several areas at how apparently 'behind the times' they are!! Especially in matters of beaurocracy :(

We had a great time anyway, mind you

Anne

Comment

Oh yes I should also have added that I had a wonderful time with new found cousins in Albany but left the States feeling how lucky we were with all our UK records and a little better understanding of why so many Americans do not or are unable to research their roots the way we do, and so the reason why they rely on records which are much less reliable than ours if you understand my meaning. :(

Prior to visiting Albany I was frustrated as to why my cousins could not get marriage and birth certs for those born in Albany 1876 onwards. Even getting a baptismal cert after 1876 can take up to 18 months. I really do realise now just how difficult it all is as I have tried myself!!

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet

I take it then that I'd have difficulty getting a copy of his death certificate - despite knowing the exact date and his address at the time of his demise or where he was buried? He was living in Brooklyn when he died in 1932 and had been there since his arrival in 1884.

This is very frustrating.......(but I suppose that is half the fun/challenge )
          Bo

Comment

You can try but I think that something like 50 years has to elapse after the death to obtain a death cert and maybe other hoops for other certificates. There are all sorts of regulations for obtaining certs and each state operates its own individual system. New York State is one where certs were not available at all until about the 1880's but try the following website for more information.

Information about genealogy resources available from the New York State Department of Health

I see yours is New York City being Brooklyn and they offer a different type of service. I will see if I can find more!

Half way down the page of this web site will help with New York City itself.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 15-07-09, 17:30.

Comment

Many thanks Janet.
              Bo

Comment

I think you'll find that New York City certs are easy enough to obtain. I managed to get a marriage cert for my gt-grand-uncle from Manhatten dated 1892. It took just 4 weeks to arrive, and cost around US$15.

Incidentally, the NYC death Index 1891-1948 (and lots of other NYC stuff too) is on here: NYC Death index Search . From that site, this looks like your George Moxon:

Surname, Given Name, Age, Month, Day, Year, Certificate Number, County
                Moxon, George, 67 y, Nov, 3, 1932, 21418, Kings

And you can order the cert from here: NYC Department of Records - Vital Records quoting the cert number from the above index.

Cheers,
                Richard
                Last edited by Richard in Perth; 16-07-09, 07:25.

Comment

Thanks for the link Richard and yes that's my Gt Gt Uncle.
                  Bo

Comment

Now that the US bashing has finished, I'd like to offer a suggestion for records research.

RAOGK (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness) has a list of volunteers for various states that you may be able to contact for research assistance.

Comment

Sorry, Aislin. We had a wonderful time and were bowled over by the friendliness of the American people! Just a bit surprised at some things as I'm sure you would be in the reverse!:p

Anne

Comment

Don't apologise. Our government in all of its glory can't get out of its own way. I just figured while you were throwing mud, I should duck. :D

We have moments where we shine and some where we're not so shiney.

Comment

Apologies from me too Aislin1 i am not into USA bashing, I have too many relatives over there! Can't afford to upset any of them!:D But I suppose as we can get all our documents over here in every County Record Office and wills are so easy to get as long as they exist from way back, and there are few if any problems accessing Births, Marriages and Deaths from 1837 until the present day, that I was very surprised that I struggled to find marriages and births for those ancestors from 1855 to 1880 in New York. Had I found them this would have accelerated our family history in a wonderful way. As it is I came back to the UK realising just how lucky we are! And with many unanswered questions.

However your census up to 1930 are very good.

PS I have had some great holidays in the US.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 16-07-09, 20:12.

Comment

Well, as all of my ancestors are from England and Canada, I can't testify to the apparently atrocious condition of our record keeping. I've been somewhat spoiled in that all of my hunting has been done from the relative comfort of my computer chair. I think the GRO knows me by first name now and is sick and tired of me.

Oh and I would be lost without Google maps.

Comment

American Wills - Updated

Just thought I'd give an update. I ordered the death certificate for my Gt Gt Uncle and it arrived very quickly from NY (5 days). He died 3 Nov 1932 at 145 Henry Street Brooklyn - however I got a shock on turning to the second page where type and cause of death are recorded. Type Suicide Cause: found leaning over gas stove with jets open.

He is buried in Kensico Cemetery Valhalla (Westchester County). I've contacted them by email asking where he is buried but have had no reply.

In the UK there would've been an inquest for a suicide. Would this've happened in the USA? I've tried the RAOGK website but unfortunately at present there doesn't seem to be anybody who does that type of look up.
                              Bo

Comment

Is there a local FHS there? Members of Pinellas Genealogy Society were extremely helpful to me when I was trying to track down the memorial and obit for my Errant Grandfather. They went out of their way to be helpful.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X