More Mulligan assistance required please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Mulligan assistance required please

As of yesterday I was able to track down the marriage of Ann Hart and Anthony Mulligan in 1848 in Oldham. I found Ann Hart in Bolton, Lancashire in 1841 but absolutely no trace of Anthony until the marriage.

I haven't been able to find a record of his birth (around 1820) in Sligo, Ireland (unless of course there has been an error somewhere along the line). There does not seem to be immigration records from Northern Ireland to the UK. presumably as they both come under the Crown.

Anyone got any ideas, as from where I am sitting, he emerged out from under a gooseberry bush.

"Northern Ireland" wasn't created until 1921. Before that Ireland in its entirety was part of the British Empire so people moved freely between Ireland and England and Wales, so there would be no migration records.

Irish ancestry can be very frustrating, but at least you have a rough place and date. I presume you will have to try to find a baptism to get further information.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It would be really easy if I could find a birth/baptism for Anthony Mulligan but according to IGI, its as if he never existed. I have been racking my brains to think of an alternative for Anthony. It would be just my luck to find that he changed his name to evade justice, as he was about to be transported and escaped

Comment

There are very few Irish records on the IGI so it's not really surprising that you've had no luck there. Have you tried any of the links for County Sligo in the Wiki?
        County Sligo - Family Tree Forum

1820 is an early date in terms of Irish genealogy records, and baptisms may not exist back to that date for the parish your Anthony Mulligan came from. There is some information on Sligo parish records here: Sligo county, Ireland, Roman Catholic parish records ©Jane Lyons
        And some more Sligo links here: Sligo County, Ireland, ©Jane Lyons
        Last edited by Cloggie; 15-07-09, 11:43.
        Sarah

Comment

Have come across on a website Irish Strays in the 1841 English census - do Ancestry have a similar thing?

Comment

Working...
          X