Are Navy weddings on public record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Navy weddings on public record?

Can't give you his name as he is still alive but it concerns a cousin I have lost touch with. X used to be in the Navy and married his wife while he was in the service, but their marriage does not seem to be on public record. Is it a case of me being mistaken with her name or are service marriages not put on public display?

OH's grandfather was in the navy at the time of his marriage in the forties, and I found the marriage in the GRO index. Are you searching the full index (images on Ancestry), or just the transcribed records on FreeBMD?
    Sarah

Comment

Looking on ancestry. The difficulty we have got is that his wife is known as X but for all we know she could have been called something else.

Comment

Might he have married overseas? Was the bride in the forces too?

Is it that you can't find the surname match you expected, or forename?
        Re surname, it could be a spelling variation, or due to a previous marriage,(name married under differs from maiden name.)

Forename - people are sometimes known by their middle name or a nickname.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have you looked in the Overseas records on Findmypast or familyrelatives? Some of the forces records are relatively recent(ish).
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

All births, marriages and deaths in the UK are public records and anyone in the world may apply for a certificate for any of them.

All UK marriages must take place in public for it to be a legal marriage any marriage that takes place otherwise than in public is null and void.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
            X