Can anyone help with this photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with this photo

Is it possible to get rid of the weave effect please.

[IMG][/IMG]

Is this scanned from a newspaper/magazine by any chance? If so, you could try rescanning with the "descreen" feature enabled, which should reduce some of the pattern.
    Sarah

Comment

Best I can do.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The photograph and his obituary notice was sent to the newspaper and unfortunately it would appear that the original has been lost.... this is a copy from the newspaper.
        My son put the picture up about an hour back but has now gone back to camp until weekend..... he may understand the " descreen "

Thank you for your help
        Colin

Comment

The "descreen" thing is one of the options you can tick/untick when scanning. For my scanner (Canon) it appears along with other settings like "unsharp mask".
          Descreen can help reduce the Moiré pattern that often appears after scanning pictures from newspapers/magazines.
          This explains it in more detail: Descreen for moiré
          I'm not sure whether descreening would have the same effect on a copy from a newspaper, but it's worth a shot.
          Sarah

Comment

Thank you Wendy, looks fine to me
            Cheers

Comment

Thanks Cloggie, I do have a scanner but when I downloaded the free Picassa programme it no longer gives me the facilty to scan... just some USB things that do nothing...
              This newspaper photo was sent to me by E-Mail so went via photobucket.

Comment

Colin

Picasa 3 does allow you to scan, you need to select the 'import' button shown below.

You then have to 'select drive' and you can specify which device you want to use. (as long as the device you are wanting to use is connected)
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 15-07-09, 07:46.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hello Darksecretz,

It used to work until my computer crased and it was taken back to factory settings ( there is a term for this but it escapes my memory )

Now with Picasa 3 downloaded and Import selcted I get

USB MS Reader
                  USB SD Reader
                  USB SM Reader
                  Photosmart 8000
                  Folder

Selected each takes me to a page with a line down the centre and the choices at the bottom left are
                  Import All this is faded and not working
                  Import Selection also faded and not available
                  Cancel this one does work and takes me back to Import
                  I used to have a choice of two that worked
                  Epsom Twain and another that I preferred but again I can not recall the name. needless to say that when I downloaded Picasa after my computer problem those two choices were not there.
                  I think I should have stuck to XP

Comment

Hi Colin,

Did you reinstall your scanner after your computer crashed? Maybe the correct drivers are missing? Am I right in thinking you are now running Vista whereas you used to run XP? In that case, you may require new drivers for Vista instead of the XP drivers that came on the CD with the scanner.
                    From the information you posted above, I assume you have an HP Photosmart 8000-series printer - is this also a scanner?
                    Here is the link to the HP support page where you can find driver downloads, etc.: HP UK Support & Drivers
                    Last edited by Cloggie; 15-07-09, 09:06.
                    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Cloggie,
                      Now that you have mentioned it I don't think that we did reinstall the scanner....and it should work with Vista as it did before my computer crashed.
                      My printer is not a combined printer and scanner...
                      Cheers
                      Colin

Comment

It might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the scanner (and the printer if necessary) - something might have gone wrong when the computer crashed. If it worked before under Vista you should be able to get it working again under Vista.
                        Sarah

Comment

Working...
                        X