Crossing the Atlantic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing the Atlantic

A little help and/or advice please. When people crossed the Atlantic by sea would they have brought a return ticket and sailed back on the same ship later in the year e.g arrived UK April return USA August or would it be more likely that the ticket would be a single and that they would just buy another when they were ready to leave and that that could be on any ship and could be a different shipping line again?

Reason for asking is that a cousin has discovered that our illusive gt gt Aunt Dora Moxon arrived in London on the SS Minnehaha in 1906 and I was wondering whether it was likely that she had a return ticket or single. I know that she returned to the USA as she is back in Rhode Island on the 1910 USA census.

Straws and clutching go together.....
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

They might well book a return passage with the same shipping line but it's more likely they'd return on a different ship. Most shipping lines had a large number of ships of similar size. The big ones like the Mauretania were the exception.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There's a Dora (Kathleen) MOXON, b c 1885, who travels out twice (in 1915, and 1925) on Australia-bound ships.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a Miss MOXON, adult, Lady, travelling 2nd cl to Montreal in July 1909 from Liverpool...

But I found her on the incoming manifest in Canada. She was Edith, 21, a tourist, heading for the USA.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks UJ and Christine - my Dora was born 1866. I can see some long searches coming up.
          Bo

Comment

Hi

Was Dora Moxon a nurse on the USA 1900 census?

Just asking making sure I have the right one befreo I begin a search for her.
            WendyP

Comment

Yes Wendy that's the lady. I'm also desparate to find her death........
              Bo

Comment

Working...
              X