Murray family of Shropshire, Cheshire and Lancashire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murray family of Shropshire, Cheshire and Lancashire

Hello everybody! With the usual brilliant advice from Glen, I've started a new group and photostream on Flickr hoping to get contacts from people whose families connect with my Dad's MURRAYs.

There's a few photos that came from my Gran's cottage here in Galloway on the page with descriptions. Gran was a HARRISON from Burslem, Stoke on Trent so anybody with connections to her would be a great bonus.

Grandad was Frederick MURRAY of Whitchurch Shropshire/Cheshire a son of James MURRAY (blacksmith/engineer) and Sarah Ann LATEWOOD. He was a warder/mental nurse in Crumpsall Asylum, Prestwich, Lancashire.

Gran was Dory HARRISON a daughter of William HARRISON (potter's printer) and Mary Eliza ACKERLEY (potter's transferrer). Gran also worked in the potteries as an overlooker - I think that meant quality control at the end of the production line - and later became a nurse which she still was when she married in 1917.

Two of Grandad's siblings went off to Perth, Western Australia. Frank MURRAY and his wife Elizabeth Annie FOSTER and Mary Jane RUSCOE nee MURRAY and her husband John RUSCOE. There's more about these two on the Flickr page.

Please go and have a look and leave comments. If you would like to add me as a friend, please feel free. It would help a lot if the group got loads of hits. Many thanks.

Flickr: The Murray family of Shropshire, Cheshire and Lancashire
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 14-07-09, 13:01. Reason: add

:D A wee nudge up for the late evening surfers. Please spread the word.

Comment

And another one from me.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Another wee nudge, it's a nice set of family pictures.

Would anyone care to add a comment or two, Flickr is a "free to register" site and members can post images, comment on other members pictures and join or as Gallowlass has done even start groups, groups also have discussion pages where threads can be started and replied to.

Images can be found by searching tags, is there a picture of someone on your family on Flickr? Try a tag search of a surname for example or just pop by and visit the Flickr: The Murray family of Shropshire, Cheshire and Lancashire group pages.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks for the punt up Glen.

Comment

Don`t know who ironed the Ruscoe boys pants but I can never get a crease like that....lol.....good pictures...taken with an old box camera ?....excellent considering how old they are....allan
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I've no idea what was used to take the photos Allan. They were all scanned on an HP750 scanner/printer/copier from original prints that my sister has.

Comment

Just to add the tin shed now serving as Murray HQ is now serving tea and sympathy along with invites to join the group, latest news relating to fame in the family history press (WDYTYA magazine) and more besides.

As an offshoot to the Murray group "Tinsel Knickers photography" is proud to announce that some as yet unseen pictures of 'ol TK in his pre tinsel days will be made available on Flickr when the Murray group reaches 10 members.

If GL decides this offer may harm the growth of the Murray group then i may consider withdrawing the offer for a reasonable cash sum :D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There's nothing in my collection tin to give you Glen sorry. LOL

Never mind the pre- tinsel days - I'm dead curious as to the origins of the tinsel knickers soubriquet...

Am off over to see to that coffee.

Comment

My Scottish connections are McInnes North Uist into Australia on the Neptune
                    and Miller from Iona, into France about 1817, onto Canada, into Australia? and I now think McPhails from North Uist. I am getting more questions as each new thing comes up!

Hope you are getting some answers

Cheran
                    Cheran

Comment

*dons Nitpickers Hat*

Crumpsall Asylum, whilst correctly in Prestwich, is ACTUALLY in Crumpsall, which is a suburb of Manchester.

I know this, cos I was born in Crumpsall Workhouse, Manchester 19.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        *dons Nitpickers Hat*

Crumpsall Asylum, whilst correctly in Prestwich, is ACTUALLY in Crumpsall, which is a suburb of Manchester.

I know this, cos I was born in Crumpsall Workhouse, Manchester 19.

OC
                        Consider your nit picked OC. :smilee: Will change all the references later today if I get peace from my public.

Comment

Originally posted by cheran View Post
                          My Scottish connections are McInnes North Uist into Australia on the Neptune
                          and Miller from Iona, into France about 1817, onto Canada, into Australia? and I now think McPhails from North Uist. I am getting more questions as each new thing comes up!

Hope you are getting some answers

Cheran
                          Nothing that matches that I know of Cheran. Thanks for looking. I'm hoping I'll get more hits on my thread and my Flickr photo pages when the Kate Humble issue of the WDYTYA magazine hits Australia. I've been told that could be about Christmas time as imports are about 3 months behind publication. I got picked off the forum and was printed on page 8 of that issue in the forum snippets column. It was rather a shock as I'd no idea they'd chosen to print me.

Best of luck with your searches. Keep posting the questions!

Comment

Working...
                          X