Age old photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age old photo

Hi I was give this photo many years ago.
    It is "suppose" to be of our great Grandfather John. He was "Suppose" to be born around 1850.
    Can any one help in tell the years when it could have been taken.
    Nothing was written on the back of it.
    Cheerio
    Attached Files

Do you know where the photo was taken?

I'm no expert in these things, but if it was in Australia (as your username suggests), I think that may make a difference to the dating.

I don't suppose the photographer's name's printed on the back?

Comment

Hi Broken Hill, could you make the photo bigger please, only it makes it much easier to date. Childrens photos are always difficult and this also appears to be coloured?

Comment

Do you know where the photo was taken?

I'm no expert in these things, but if it was in Australia (as your username suggests), I think that may make a difference to the dating.

I don't suppose the photographer's name's printed on the back?
        Thanks for the response.
        I believe it was taken in Australia, it was on funny type of paper/carboardish and their was a stamp of someones buisness form memory.
        It was in my hand for about 1 minute so I did not have a good look at its back
        I just looked for a persons name.
        I had to hand it back as the owner was funny about even giving me a copy.
        Nowadays it is impossible to get access to it as they think it is worth millions (Ha)
        I did not think at the time how important the back and type of paper was.
        Cheeerio,

Comment

Hi Broken Hill, could you make the photo bigger please, only it makes it much easier to date. Childrens photos are always difficult and this also appears to be coloured?
          I have up sized it but not too sure on how big a size (KB) you are allowed to use on this site.
          The yellow is from what looks like tea or some other drink spilled on it.
          I have not bothered/tried to clean it up as it is beyond my expertise
          Cheerio
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Broken Hill; 14-07-09, 10:33. Reason: extra try at bigger photo?

Comment

The attachment feature on this site will automatically reduce the file size, but you can post larger image files if you host them on an external site such as Photobucket. Instructions can be found here: Reference Information and How to Guides - Family Tree Forum
            Sarah

Comment

Hi BH, The photo sounds like a carte de visite, if you google you should see what I mean. They are not worth a great deal generally, other than to their owners.

Comment

Do you think the owner of the photo would be willing to tell you if there's anything printed on the back? The photographer's name could be quite helpful.

One of my relatives was a travelling photographer in the outback - you never know, it might be one of his

Comment

Done a quick clean up not sure if it will work. Still trying to get my head around Photobucket.

Comment

Ooh Colin thank you.

Comment

I am having severe doubts about this dating from 1860ish I think it's much later, even 1900.

Comment

Hi Colin.
                        You have done a great job at cleaning it up.
                        good size too.
                        Unfortunately I can no longer get access to the photo or a whole suitcase of photos.
                        Despite many phone calls and letters requesting them even drove 800k round trip to see them as well as attend a funeral.
                        Unfortunatly some people seem to think they can make money out of nothing.

But will keep trying
                        Many thanks

Comment

I would also doubt the early date, from the cane chair as well as the clothing. Don't know about Australia but the UK was awash with cane furniture of that type c1890-1920

Comment

Working...
                          X