Help with Great Grandparents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Great Grandparents?

I am trying to trace my g grandparents on my grandads side.
    His father was called Owen Wilcox b.1915 Henley, Berkshire/Oxfordshire. The mothers maiden name is Bland and he seems to be the eldest. My problem is that I can't find a Wilcox/Bland marriage!
    Is there any other way to find the marriage, I have tried Ancestry and Free BMD with the combinations and nothing comes up?
    Thanks
    Tessie

Do you have Owen Wilcox's father's name? If so, then a search for him in the 1911 and 1901 censuses should help you narrow down the date of the marriage.
    If you don't have his name, then you could get Owen's birth certificate to find the name. And of course that might reveal whether Owen's mother had other names besides Bland.

Comment

No I don't thats the problem, I knew I was going to have to get the birth cert. if I couldn't find the marriage!

Comment

Not forgetting that, pre mid-1911, there weren't spouse-surnames in the GRO index. If te marriage is earlier than you are expecting, then the spouse-surname won't be there for you to match, and you'll have to trawl likely combinations.

Also, WILCOX is very much at risk of variation: WIL(L)COX/CK(S)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oh my goodness, just had a thought, I looked on berks FHS and its got the marriage on there! Thanks
          Tessie

Comment

Working...
          X