Help with Great Grandparents please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Great Grandparents please

Hi - I am stuck om my mothers side finding my great grandparents, they are from the Liverpool area. Sometime around 1898 Robert William Christian got together with Fanny Ethel ??? (can't find a marriage) Robert was born 1878 in Liverpool and Fanny was born in Wales I think. I have an 81 census for Robert where he lived his aunt Eliza McClean, a 91 where he lived with his widowed mother Elisa ?? and there is an aunt or great aunt floating in there too a Grace Williams. In 1901 he is with Fanny in Wales with a baby girl, in 1911 he is still in Wales with 5 kids. I cannot find his Moms maiden name, his father or his wifes maiden name. I also can't find out what happened after 1911. I am not sure I have the right birth record to buy a cert. Any ideas??

Hi,

welcome to FTF

firstly I would look at William Roberts Birth.

according to the census, his name is W. Robert Christian,

this looks to be his birth reference:

William Robert Christian

1878 AMJ quarter.
    West Derby, Lancs. (which will cover Liverpool)
    vol: 8b
    page: 333
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

in 1901 he is living with his mother and wife and daughter.

Fanny POB is given as Carnarvon.. (b.1879)
      Eliza (the mother) POB is given as Harrowgate(sp) Yorks. (b. 1841)
      Elsie daughter 1900, pob. Colwyn, Denbighshire, Wales
      Julie

Comment

I wonder if this is his marriage - oopsy daisy, lol!

William Robert Christian
        to
        Frances E Davies
        1916, West Derby RO.

There are one or two more William R marriages but none to Fanny, although a couple to Annes, who might have been Fanny, but the one above looks your best bet, Davies being a good old Welsh name.

No marriages for Robert William.

Think you will have to get one of their children's BC for mother's maiden name but I would put my money on the above. Perhaps he was already married so they couldn't marry till 1916?

OC

Comment

Thanks Julie - that is the one that I do not know if it is worth the cert, there were two or three Williams in there around the same time. I do have the 1901 censu with Elsie on it and the 1911 he is listed as William Robert so I may spend the $$$. Have to talk the other half into it though!

Comment

Thanks OC - It may be his second marriage! She had 9 kids.

Comment

I don't know if you are aware of this, but if you apply by email to the LOCAL Register Office for his birth cert, you can ask that his mother's name must be Elisa or something which sounds like that.

They will tell you yes or no without you spending a halfpenny, unlike the GRO. You will still have to pay for the cert of course, if it's the correct mother.

The GRO reference is useless for local offices, so you would say something like:

Are you able to supply a birth certificate for William Robert Christian born between April and July in 1878, mother's first name to sound like Elisa, father's name as yet unknown to me?

I have used this method very successfully for years!

OC

Comment

I thought you may be able to do something like that but how do you find the local office and its email address? Can I google it? Would they email it or would they mail it snail mail?

Comment

good morning Gardener Girl....there is a member on Rootschat researching the Christian family from Liverpool...I`ve PM`d you....allan;)
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

That is super - thanks!!! I now have a new site to explore! I think that it will be useful because it does the whole world in small pieces and I can narrow my queries!! You folks are good!!

Comment

Hi again,

if you click on the link below it will take you into our Wiki, which is our reference library.

Lancashire - Family Tree Forum

once you are on the Lancashire page, if you look to the left of your screen you will see a blue box, this is called a TOC (table of contents) and number 4 on it is the contact address for the register offices.
                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X