X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help reading this

can i get some help reading the hand written notes:

History of the Mathesons : with genealogies of the various families

at the top of the page it says: 1) anne, christian, mary, janet. then dornie 1751?
    they are the daughters of donald who lived at fernaig and married anne mcrae.
    2) farquhar married mary, d. of murdoch.........

and then can i get help with the blue writing in the paragraph concerning donald, down to who kenneth resident on the black isle married?

some of this info is wrong, other bits refer to my 5th great grandparents.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 13-07-09, 16:22.

I think "Dornie" refers to the manuscript, i.e. The Dornie Papers, and 175 is the page number or document number.

I got lost with the rest and don't know which Donald you mean, sorry!

OC

Comment

haha. donald is the one in print, at the very top of the page, the paragraph about him and his kids is littered with handwritten notes, and i cant read half of them!!

but yes, there are lots of notes referring to dornie manuscripts on most pages, so i think you are right there!!

Comment

Some of it is in sort of Gaelic I think

Donald resided in Fernaig, m Ann Mcrae with issue
        Alexander, Faquhar, John and four daughters
        a1 - Alexander married ^ Christiana d of Finlay Beag in Attadale
        with issue 1. Alexander who emigrated with his family to Melbourne in 1857. and 2. Kenneth, married ^ Elizabeth Mathieson d of Ruaindh of Ruaindh and resident in the Black Isle.

Not too sure about Ruaindh - would have expected it to br Ruaraidh or some such. Off to Google and then I'll look at the top bit.

Anne

No - Ruaindh seems to exist as a name of something/someone!
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 13-07-09, 17:55.

Comment

2) Farquhar married Mary, d. of Murdoch Mac Dhughaill, Erbusaig (I??)
          3) Farquhar m Florence natural d of John Og, Fernaig
          4) Christiana m John Macheanzie, Kirlaton of ???? sorry can't read the place at all might be Kirkaton of ....

Just realised I missed a bit on the other one.

Alexander who ^ m Margaret d of John Mac Iain Chaim of Plockton emigrated with his family ....etc...

Anne

Comment

thank you anne!! as i said the bits about my family seem to be wrong!!
            according to the book, farquhar had isabella and murdoch, and married mary mcdughal? if that is the right name, and emmigrated to australia in 1857.
            he married mary matheson in 1833 at lochalsh, but her father's name was murdoch. they had 5 children including isabella, my 4th great grandmother and murdoch. farquhar had married an isabella matheson before mary, and had farquhar jr too. the family emmigrated in 1853.

the book also says that farquhar was the son of john, tennant at craig, and hence a grandson of donald who married anne mcrae. john seems to be farquhar's brother, he did marry a margaret, and a john and margaret from plockton are on the same ship as farquhar in 1853. so farquhar and john are brothers, and farquhar's dc gives parents as donald matheson and mary mcrae.
            donlad died in 1828 at craig, i have his inventory from when he died, and mary was still alive in 1830.

not too sure about the alexander's who emmigrated though. there was an alexander who emmigrated with farquhar as nephew with his 2 sisters in 1853, but they are children of dugald, who seems to be the brother of farquhars wives.

originally, this chapter wasn't included in the book, as a note says that there wasn't considered any important lineage to be included in 1888. but the edition in 1900 says that they added it, but i cant tell if it was because it was missed the first time or if they did find an important descendant after all.
            the book has been handy, but is confusing quite frequently. it has confirmed what i have long suspected, that donald's grandparents were 1st cousins, as were they're parents.

the fact dornie ms and fernaig ms are used frequently in the notes means that there is some sort of manuscript mentioning these things right?

Comment

it does seem to be in gaelic concerning place names and surnames. i think you've done a marvellous job anne, i still cant make out some of the trickier stuff, but you have got a lot right now that i can 'see' what is written.

Comment

You get more used to the Gaelic names when visiting the Highlands of Scotland - all the road signs are in English and Gaelic! I did do a bit of Googling to see if the word I thought it was existed.

I think you are correct in thinking that the manuscripts referred to are some other works which were consulted while writing the book. They may or may not still be in existence!! Hopefully they are resting in some dusty arcive just waiting for you to discover where!

Anne

Comment

mmm, i hope so too. i love the book, but the mckenzies and mcraes family histories are so much more detailed. im not too sure on the matheson history as a whole, because they stuffed my branch, so how much more is inaccurate?
                  so, im hoping the clann genealogist can do some work on it, and he's been busy, with the gathering in edinburgh soon!!

Comment

Working...
                  X