Anyone familiar with what town comes under what district in Lincolnshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with what town comes under what district in Lincolnshire

This is for a Mary Anne Tomlinson who we are told came from Boston in Lincolnshire. When she married my GGF she became Mary Anne Thomson and eventually died in Nottingham in 1922 aged 83. Thing is, I am not too sure of what sub district comes under what for Lincolnshire, as there are a few alternatives.

Before someone asks, I bought the certificate of her son William Charles born 1876 in Newark, though still need to find the marriage.
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 13-07-09, 15:09. Reason: Found another entry this time for Deeping in Lincs

Is this what you're looking for? Registration Districts in Lincolnshire
    Sarah

Comment

Boston has its own reg district, sub districts being Boston & Benington
      Lynn

Comment

This is a seriously useful link for this sort of query:
        Registration Districts in England and Wales

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I second that Christine!
          That's where the link I posted above came from.
          Sarah

Comment

I am really stuck here trying to find my great great grandparents marriage. The problem being that once I'd got the birth certificate of my GGGF giving his mother's maiden name, I'd be way.

Not a bit of it, her name changes from census to census. She was born in around 1839 as Annie or Mary Anne Tomlinson, I haven't been able to find the marriage to William Charles Thomson at all (also born in 1839 but in St Pancras). The P has popped in and out of Thompson from census to census.

I really am thoroughly confused, has anyone a method that narrows down the searches to pin point the marriage. I have looked for the marriage in the Lincolnshire and Nottingham area and drawn a blank.

Comment

You might find something here for Lincs marriages:
              Lincolnshire Marriage Indexes 1837-1850

But you may have to wait - Boston only goes up to 1850 at the moment. A lot of the others have been extended to 1870.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Unfortunately I think these indexes are too early, but have still bookmarked this, in case I find I can use it on another branch of the family in the future.

Comment

Could this be the marriage?

Marriages Dec 1870
                  CROSS Pheby Elizabeth Burton 6b 566
                  THOMPSON William Burton 6b 566
                  Till Josiah Burton On Trent 6b 566
                  TOMLINSON Mary Burton On Trent 6b 566
                  Jeanette
                  Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanette In Yorkshire View Post
                    Could this be the marriage?

Marriages Dec 1870
                    CROSS Pheby Elizabeth Burton 6b 566
                    THOMPSON William Burton 6b 566
                    Till Josiah Burton On Trent 6b 566
                    TOMLINSON Mary Burton On Trent 6b 566
                    Very possibly. Thank you.

Assuming this is the correct marriage, GGF wasn't born until 1876, while its not impossible that he was an only child, is there any way of checking whether there were any other children. As far as I can see, other births did not straddle the censuses. I see that William and his wife are recorded as boarders in 1871 and took the decision not to have a family until they had a more settled existence.
                    Last edited by LorraineJ; 14-07-09, 19:22.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                      I see that William and his wife are recorded as boarders in 1871 and took the decision not to have a family until they had a more settled existence.
                      Very unlikely - contraception was virtually unknown in those days.

It's much more likely that one or two children were miscarried, stillborn or died in infancy.

Comment

Working...
                      X