The Guy's Head Inn, Sutton Bridge, LINCOLNSHIRE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Guy's Head Inn, Sutton Bridge, LINCOLNSHIRE

The Guy’s Head Inn was situated at Guy’s Head, Sutton Bridge, near the West Bank Lighthouse on the River Nene, and was formerly in Sutton St. Mary as above as Sutton Bridge was not formed at the time. It was in operation prior to 1841 and was in a desolate area but I believe gained it’s clientele from a few locals but mainly from the numerous navvies that were involved in the building of the new cut for the river and ongoing reclamation of land from the sea. It would have been busy! My Great Great Grandfather Thomas Garner b. 1812 was the landlord prior to 1841 until his death in 1880. It must have closed about that time.
    Other than this info and full census returns I have no information on this Inn and it's connection with my family. A long shot, maybe, but does anyone have any knowledge of it?
    Here's hoping!
    Bob

I wonder if this is the same building as the Bridge Hotel which is there now ??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Bridge this is interesting to read
    Last edited by Guest; 13-07-09, 11:31.

Comment

I don't have any local knowlege but suggest you might find some information from the Lincoln Archives. They may have licensing records - a licence had to be applied for each year. I have some for my ancestor and he was just a beer-house keeper.

Anne

Comment

Val
        I've spent many happy hours in The Bridge Hotel !!!!
        The Guys Head Inn was about four miles downriver. I beleive it's now a private residence.
        Bob

Comment

I live down the road from there in Gedney cant say I've eaten in there though.

Comment

Working...
          X